Hi,

Just last week the 3 wgt rod I purchased from Gus (gstrand) through FAOL arrived. So, I just had to try it out. My wife and I headed out of Auckland, and 2 hours later we were fishing on the Waihou Stream just outside of Tirau. The fish are generally small in this stream (at least, all the ones I've ever caught or even seen caught have been small; 6-8 inches type thing). Anyway, I had a play and it was a lot of fun. Also, this was the first time I had a chance to try out Betty's blue spider fly. I don't have any snipe feathers, so I tend to tie them with darker hackle. Regardless, I had 3 hits, two of which hooked up and one was landed (in the 6-8 inch range). The other hook up was also a small one, so I slack lined it and it was able to get free. The other required assisstance.

So, I was very pleased as the first day with the new rod was a success (as was the first try of the blue spider).

The next day (a few hours ago actually), we went to the top of the river, where it is exceptionally clear. The fish are very spooky here. Vanessa had one strike (on either a dark Montreal or an Alveon streamer) and I had a rise to either a dark Montreal or a soldier palmer (we were both fishing two fly teams of wee wets, so it's hard to be sure which was drawing interest).

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to Gus for the rod (it is a lot of fun, and I'm very pleased with it) and to Betty (for the new fly; just so you know, I was the only one to get any hits yesterday, and I had no luck with any other fly either. It may end up becomming a go to fly for that water!

- Jeff