+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Go out on the lake.....prepared.

Default Go out on the lake.....prepared.

I have been fishing with a sinking line with a little metal eyelet to tie my leaders to. Been on line probably a bit over two yrs. I have stated before that I have never broken one. Well, now I have. In a good way though. I was sitting out on the lake....actually way out in the middle of it. My leader had a kink and I was trying to stretch the kink out...when BAM...(yeah Emmerrill....take that)...BAM and the fly line broke off at the needle end of the eyelet.

I sat there for an hour I bet....in my float tube....not fishing.....sticking that darn thing in my finger a bunch of times and couldn't get it to work. Unprepared for this? Yea....I didn't know how to tie a nail knot.....and had no tool. I finally tied a triple surgeons and commenced fishing. I was stuck for over an hour by not being prepared.

I will learn some more knots and get a tool. But I will also try to think....and have other stuff in my little boat for times like these.

Gemrod

Default Been There...Done That

Glad to read that I am amongst good company that becomes complacent with modern gadgets.
    Thankfully, it has been a long standing order in this household, that Dad receives fishing gifts during any holiday. Because, my son had the insight towards laminating the back cover of Cortland Fly Fishing Basics, "Useful Knots to Know" and taping one of Mom's quilting needles to the card, then placing it inside a gift card. Hence, it was placed inside a vest pocket and forgoten until the day I ran out of modern plastic connectors and had to tie the Nail Knot.

My son was tickled to learn that his quicky gift saved a day of fishing.

Neato gift and a cool son.

Wish I had that tool and instructions when I was in that jam.

Gemrod

At least read this. It does work and you don't need a tool.
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/k ... twell.html

+ Reply to Thread