+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sage XP on sale

Default Sage XP on sale

Hello - My local fly shop has a Sage XP discounted 30%.

I'm looking for a new rod and it would be my first fly rod purchase over $100. Certainly seems like a good deal based on everything I read on Sage etc.

Also, I've stared to read about the new Sage Z series but have a difficult time spending $650.

Peoples thoughts?

Thanks!

I have a 5 weight xp that I consider among the top two or three rods I have ever fished. Right now I own nine rods so that is not a small statement.Haven't seen the new sage top end model but I wouldn't hesistate to buy an XP at thirty percent off.

Regarding XP:

"Sage created a stir this year with its announcement that they were dropping the XP Series of rods. As a brand label, 'XP' had held the attention of serious fly fishers for many years, but apparently Sage feels that the new Z-Axis technology represents enough of a leap forward that they could retire the brand." -Midcurrent

Full article:

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/gear ... rfeet.aspx

Jim

Like Travel'r, I also have 9 or 10 rods and my XP's are among my favorites.

Last Friday, I went into a large fly shop in Oregon looking for an inexpensive 4wt rod -- was considering a Reddington. The shop didn't have a Reddington but they did have a 4wt XP. They sold me the 4WT XP for 1/2 price which I thought was a good deal. It ended up being about the same as the Reddington would have cost but I got a better rod.

My local shop was offering me 25% off for their XP. The Oregon shop said they would be discounting all their remaining XP's in another week. I imagine that the more useable rods 4,5,6 wt's will go fast. The bigger rods might be around a little longer.

You can't go wrong with an XP in my opinion.

I also tried out the new sage Z-rod. It is a pretty rod and I thought it felt very much like the XP -- maybe a little bit lighter but not much. Cast very similar.

I know spending 500 to 600 is alot but I kind of think you get what you pay for -- every time I have gone with the inexpensive cheap stuff -- I have been disappointed. Have you considered buying a good blank and components and making your own rod? It is one way of obtaining a very good rod at an affordable price.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully the rod is still for sale... and if so... I think I'm going to get it.

At some point, I would love to learn how to make a fly rod but haven't had the opportunity yet.

Thanks again!

I won't say how many rods I have. In fact, I don't actually know. (It's one of those things that is convenient not to know when being subjected to cross examination by one's spouse.)

Anyway, I just picked up my 7th XP at Cabela's at $200 off retail. That's about a 40% discount, which is usually as deeply as most retailers will discount their premium fly rods. Local fly shops have them at 20-25% off, and they're going fast.

My 590-4 and 890-4 XPs have been the workhorses of my rod quiver, so though I'm sure the new Z-axis rods are whiz bang magic wands (just as their Xi2s were a big improvement over the RPLXis), someone wanting a wonderful rod at a discount can't go wrong with an XP.

I would worry more about how a rod feels in my hand and how it casts more so than price or brand.My best suited rod for most of my fishing cost about 200 dollars less than my highest priced one.As far as the XP I wiil not give an opinnion as I have not casted one.I will say that I am very happy with my 2 Sage rods.

Hey there Ken ( kennymac),
    So you're goin to meet Rich Ward with a brand new XP in hand ??. The South Fork will be a great place to break in that baby. If y'all find that whirlpool with the foam top I mentioned once you'll put a good arc in that rod for sure.
    Good luck in Idaho and Wyoming and tell Rich "Hey" from me.

Mark

Cast it first. Make sure it fits your stroke.

anyone know of a website that selling them off that cheap...looked @ cableas but they don't have it up on their website

+ Reply to Thread