+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here Goes With Another One Weight Thread!

Blog Entries

Default Here Goes With Another One Weight Thread!

So I just tied up a few #14 soft hackle patterns as I may just get out to fish my new one weight in a day or so.

Got me to thinking so I am polling you one weight owners: What are the biggest flies that you successfully and somewhat comfortably cast with your one weight? Any poppers that work well at all? Other favorites?

Down here on the extreme low end of the scale, 0 and 00 are the only lower. I'm interested to hear from you all.

Best

Robin

Rhyne, RW here

I cast Size #10 flies and smaller with ease. I can even cast Jim Hatch's little panfish sliders with no trouble when he ties them on size 10 hooks for me. In fact, I'm heading out this afternoon as soon as I get off this puter for a little session with my 1-weight at a nearby pond.

Later, RW
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

Default 1 wt poppers

I fish small foam poppers (size 10 to 14) regularly with a 1 wt. They cast fine (but then with gills from a canoe you usually fish in fairly close). I am not sure I would want to go much larger than a 10.

David

You'll have to take this with a t least one grain of salt.....at least one.
    We are not the rod vendors nor the line vendors favored example. We do a LOT of the "wrong" stuff just cause it can be done.
    We have comfortably tossed a quarter sized hair bass bug with an WF8F line on our 0wt for an afternoon. Short casts, no more than about 40'-50'. We usually concider "recommended gear" as a starting place only.
    .....lee s.

Blog Entries

Royal Wulff, djo, lee s,

Sure appreciate the feedback. I am getting a better idea of where I am headed as a one weight angler.

Hopefully even more members of the one weight "mafia" will chime in here. More is better when sifting data, at least that's how I feel.

I routinely fish with a #10

I have gone to the ridiculous with a 1 weight before......I cast a 2/0 Hollowfleye with the wind to stripers feeding at the base of a bulkhead......landed several stripers up to 18lbs that day. These were short casts (if you can call it a cast...kinda more like launching it up in the air and letting the wind take it out 30-45') to active fish and was a hoot!

With that idea in mind I have accidently broken a 1oz rod while fishing the salt by forgetting it was a 4wt and waterhauling it (just can't waterhaul a 4wt like a 12wt) ......broke 4" above the grip.

I've cast up to a #10 foam hopper for panfish on a windless day in summer last season. Lots of fun too.

Saw a couple "smaller" bass and just for fun decided to give it a try. The one that slurped it (unseen) was a 6 1/2 pounder! Best fight of my life!

You shouldn't have trouble casting appropriately sized stuff.

Jeremy.

Robin:

1. Is that a pearow special.

2. How long is a one weight?

3. I guess it is for panfish only, is that correct? Or can ya catch trout on it?

Blog Entries

hey there Mark,

No, this one is not a pearow rod. Its a Cabelas Clear Creek and this one is a seven footer.

Its going to mainly be used for panfish but if and when I can get to colder waters I expect that it and the pearow two weight will get the workout!

+ Reply to Thread