+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beads

Default Beads

Dropped in at my local craft shop and picked up some 4mm beads to use. Got home and discovered the error of my ways. The beads won't slide around the bend of the hook. In case no one has mentioned this before, I'd suggest taking hooks with you of the size you're planning to bead when purchasing beads.
    I thought it was kinda strange that the beads worked on the #10 and 12 bait hooks I was using for practice, but after I received my fly hooks I ran into the problem.

rodgerole
    I tye with glass beads a lot, best place to find the best bead for you is a local bead store. You get a biger verity to choose form and sometime they ask for some fly to display for a small discount if your one of the first fly tyers that tell them what your useing the bead for,
    Ghost.

Blog Entries

I brought some beads when I first started tying flies.The flyshop guy sold me the beads and the hooks saying they were the right size bead for that sized hook.
    At home I tried to put one on a hook and it would't go round the bend in the hook. Ergo I took them back. Imagine my embarassment when the flyshop owner picked one up and slipped it easily on the hook. I didn't know that beads made especially for flytying have a tapered hole and you have to put the smaller end of the hole in the hook point first. It was an embarassing lesson that I will not soon forget.
    Craftstore beads do not have the taper in them.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

4. Default beads

This is the best place to by hooks and beads. High quality and cheap. I have bought from him many times.
    http://www.thefishguy.net/ CFISHER

Normand Guest

Maybe a bead to hook size chart would help (this is only one of many on the web)

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_dire ... %5Fid=6479

Had some 3.2 mm beads in my stash and they seem to mostly work with #12 hooks. I think maybe the craft store beads have a quality control problem.

I have found that sometimes the shape of the hook not the size of the bead or hook that is the problem. Caddis larve style, and Tiemo 200 come to mind that have small bends.

Tom

+ Reply to Thread