+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Take Time to Say Thanks!

Default Take Time to Say Thanks!

I just removed another two stream sections from my personal Pennsylvania maps and lists. These were Class A Wild Trout streams managed as Catch & Release Artificial Lures Only fisheries by the PA Fish & Boat Commission. I had hoped to fish them this year but now I won?t get the opportunity.

The reason for their removal was landowner posting as a result of problems associated with access, i.e. littering, dumping, etc. This is the #1 reason for loss of fisheries here in Pennsylvania, not pollution, not acid rain, but a$$h***s! While I can?t clean up every inconsiderate slob?s mess or police every waterway; I do pick-up trash if it is smaller than an abandoned car. I am sure that most of us do the same.

But another thing I always do, is making a point of seeking out the landowners of the streams I fish. I stop what I'm doing to say, ?THANKS! I really appreciate having the opportunity to fish on your property?. I?ve shared a beer with a few, had great conversations with many, and received appreciation for my gratitude from all. I even send Christmas cards to my new acquaintances during the holiday season.

While I don?t expect that my actions alone will stem the tide of landowner postings; I just want them to know that some of us really do respect and appreciate having the opportunity to fish on private property. It is a small gesture taking very little time and effort that I hope will help keep maybe just a few extra miles of water open to all.

I hope you all do the same.

"B",
    Thanks for the reminder. Little things can get overlooked in the hustle and bustle. After a time some things get taken for granted....human nature maybe?
    ....lee s.
    PS - Gotta go buy a box of cards.

Has anyone ever gone to one of these landowners and said that you understand why he posted his land and you would like to fish it. In trade you will haul out a trash bag of junk from his stream banks. WOnder if that would work. Do that a few times with the same person and I would think you could get something close to personal private access.

jed

Bamboozle - Good post. Works for me too. One can never have too many friends with streamside access!

Bambozzel: The same thing happened to me over 20 years ago in Oregon. Up Ray Creek, over by Lexington and Ione in Eastern ORegon, I had a place I would hunt for pheasant and chuckar every year. The mans name was Marshall and he was a horse rancher. All I did was go to his front door at the beginning of my hunt, hand over a very nice bottle of whiskey and ask to hunt again...this went on for over 10 years. I would bring him and his Mrs. back a couple of birds on my way out and we would shake hands and I showered him with thanks. The last year I hunted there, I showed up as usual with my fifth of whiskey and Mr. Marshall said, "sorry Jonezee, no one will ever hunt on my land again, no matter no way. Someone late in the season snuck in and shot up his tractors, his water towers and his outback cabin while he was away in town. I said I understood and that was the last time I ever saw Mr. Marshall or was able to enjoy that beautiful hunting grounds. We even picked up our hulls....what a shame.

We used to hunt and fish a lot of private land up in the Dakotas when I was young. Rules of the road were "Always ask permission", "Leave all gates as you find them", "Clean up after yourself", and "Always stop by the house to say thanks". The rules still apply. Too bad so many folks weren't taught good manners when they were young.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Good post! Yeah, I've had some good conversations with landowners who have had troubles, mostly with litterers and kids starting fires etc.

I've stopped to ask permission only to have some fine conversations with some good people who have come to think of their riverside land as more of a liability than a joy. That's sad indeed!

All have been gratefull and considerate and I've been more than apologetic for intruding on them during their daily activities just to get permission.

This was a good post and hopefully will be taken in by many of us instead of just reading. We really are very lucky to have access, in many ways.

Jeremy.

Bam,
    Obviously, here in Ohio, I fish more ponds (private) than running water, but the same applies. I pick stuff up, help carry groceries, have given folding chairs, rods/reels, tackle & instruction to kids. To me it's just a small payback for the property owners kindness & trust. About twice a year, I'll keep some bluegill for eating, & I always split the filets with the property owner. I also make sure I have plenty of cold beverages & munchies in the Jeep in case they join me.
    With all the vandalism & trashing that goes on nowadays, a trusting landowner is becoming a rare comodity...one which is to be treasured & appreciated. Good post.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread