I just removed another two stream sections from my personal Pennsylvania maps and lists. These were Class A Wild Trout streams managed as Catch & Release Artificial Lures Only fisheries by the PA Fish & Boat Commission. I had hoped to fish them this year but now I won?t get the opportunity.

The reason for their removal was landowner posting as a result of problems associated with access, i.e. littering, dumping, etc. This is the #1 reason for loss of fisheries here in Pennsylvania, not pollution, not acid rain, but a$$h***s! While I can?t clean up every inconsiderate slob?s mess or police every waterway; I do pick-up trash if it is smaller than an abandoned car. I am sure that most of us do the same.

But another thing I always do, is making a point of seeking out the landowners of the streams I fish. I stop what I'm doing to say, ?THANKS! I really appreciate having the opportunity to fish on your property?. I?ve shared a beer with a few, had great conversations with many, and received appreciation for my gratitude from all. I even send Christmas cards to my new acquaintances during the holiday season.

While I don?t expect that my actions alone will stem the tide of landowner postings; I just want them to know that some of us really do respect and appreciate having the opportunity to fish on private property. It is a small gesture taking very little time and effort that I hope will help keep maybe just a few extra miles of water open to all.

I hope you all do the same.