+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'm posting this everywhere, it's a warning!

Default I'm posting this everywhere, it's a warning!

Dear Board,

I saw this on a another internet board and I figured you folks might like to see it as well. Ignore the source and examine the idea. This is a matter that will require attention in the immediate future, like in about two weeks.

I'm going to cut and paste from a thread I saw elsewhere, but if you fish and boat in Pennsylvania, or if you have aspirations of doing so this proposed rule will directly affect you so it is worth commenting on.

"Dear Board,
    I posted this on another message board I frequent and I was wondering what you folks thought of it?

" I need to ask a favor of all of you
    Dear Board,

In the very near future the PA Fish and Boat Commission is going to propose that ALL people in boats 16 foot in length or shorter be required to wear a PFD at all times. It will be posted on their website under proposed rulemaking and public comment will be invited.

Please visit the site and tell them to quit trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Requiring mandatory PFD use on an electric motors only lake while in a 16 foot boat makes as much sense as requiring safety harnesses and climbing gear for ascending and descending a stair case. It's an infringement on the rights of the public to decide how they wish to live their their lives and will do nothing to solve the real problem of morons with no clue operating boats while intoxicated or in otherwise unsafe manners or conditions.

Thank you for your support.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy "

For those of you in border States who fish Pennsylvania, or for those of you who may be considering a trip to Pennsylvania to fish I'd appreciate it if you would take the time to visit this website in the next couple of weeks and make you feelings known. Here is a link to the PA Fish and Boat Commission website. You need to look at proposed regulations and rulemaking.

http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Ex...8.htm

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy "

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Tim:

I feel the same way about this as I do about the ability to ride a motorcycle without a helmet in PA.

If the helmet-less rider is that stupid, I have no issue with it BUT don't raise MY insurance rates or taxes because of their stupidity. And while you're at it, send the rider a bill from the EMS technicians for scraping their brains off the highway.

One problem with the lack of PFD use is the wasting of emergency personnel on unnecessary rescues on Commonwealth waterways. It isn't just drunk and disorderly boaters that drown, sometimes it is regular folks like me who CAN'T swim. Yup, I don't know how or at least I THINK I don't know how. In any case I wear a PFD on my float tube all the time regardless of location. It just makes sense. When I read the year end summary in the PA Angler & Boater; 99% of the drownings happen to people who DON'T wear a PFD.

I don't care either way what the PFBC does because I always wear a PFD. Blame the seat-belt laws for creating interest in this type of legislation.

Although I still don't understand how come in Pennsylvania I can get stopped and issued a citation for driving a 20,000 pound vehicle with armor plating and bullet proof glass without a seat-belt; but I can ride a 150cc rice burner without a helmet.

Go figure...

(a rant, so don't read this if you don't want to)

I have no problem with people NOT wearing PFD's.

I just want them to sign a document before hand that UNDER NO circumstances will me or any of my collegues be called out to go look for their sunken and waxy dead body just so their family can bury them.

see:
    http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/tragedy.htm
    Christopher Chin

Dear Chris,

If you provide the document I'll gladly sign it.

For the record I have all the required safety gear for my boat including vests, and throwable cushions for every passenger and a fire extinguisher and horn. I wish to retain my right to wear the vest only if and when I choose. I'll admit that there times when I do wear the vest, but drifting downriver though 18 inches of water on a 95 degree day will never be one of them. I'll sell my boat if this new law becomes reality.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Avalon, ...

Exactly, ... Sounds like you do have fun while at play, that you know what you do and "could" get into, ... and that you ARE ready and willing to take responsability for your actions.

My reply wasn't aimed at you, ... more at people who really don't think out it.

Sincerely,
    Christopher Chin

AValon, I am unfamiliar with Pennsylvania waters. Here in Oregon that 18" of water often quickly dumps into a churning 8 - 10'. I understand about personal rights and such, but the number of drownings in rivers this year has been frightening. Water is strong and heavy no matter the depth of it.
    Paul

I'm checking to see if Sterns is public. If so, I'm going to buy stock in them. Stupid is as stupid does. I remember a coast guard friend of mine who stopped a large family boat to do a safety check. The guy did have plenty of life vests for all on board, except they were all still in the vacum packed clear plastic they came in. The coasty made him remove the plastic, the boat owners remark... they'll get dirty. You can keep them in USCG approved storage duffels or in a boat locker that is clearly marked "Life Jackets" No where to my knowledge does any Coast Guard set of rules say you have to wear the vest, you just have to have one...and one that fits for each person on board and one that is USCG Certified. I have them, only don them when I feel it is necessary. I always wore them when crossing west coast bars and when the weather got real nasty or when on the sea alone in the cockpit at night.

You can do whatever you wish to do, but if you disobey a law, expect to pay the price. No law, ever stopped anyone, from breaking the law. It only punished those who where caught.

Either you will end up paying fine, and have to appear in court. Otherwise you may endup being nominated for a [url=http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/:60050]"Darwin Award",Click Here![/url:60050]

Dear Steven,

A Darwin Award? A Darwin Award?

Give me a break. You want a Darwin Award, here's a Darwin Award for you. A family friend died in a boating accident this year in PA. He fell off of his pontoon boat at night and drowned. He couldn't swim a stroke and he owned a boat. That's Darwinism.

Don't penalize people who understand what it means to be a responsible boat owner because some people choose to ignore the logical consequences of their stupidity and ignorance.

I really wish the Government would stop trying to protect people that are too stupid or ignorant to deserve protection.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Kewl!! Best thing they've ever thought of.....Especially where there are children aboard.....

I don't care if some ppl feel unconvinced for having to wear them..so long as they ARE Wearing them!!!

You had me worried that they were going to put some new price tag on something like a "Privy" tax dealy or along those lines...They and the Game Commission are planning to make us all buy permits to use "Commission lands" which includes lakes and ponds on these lands..to the tune of 30 bucks a year....From what I've been told it will start this coming year....and I thought we already bought Licence's that cover this....Silly Me!!!
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread