Been looking at a ton of yaks,but haven't had anything on the water yet. I know,I know, ya gotta paddle one to see if it'll fit/work for ya.
Thought I might save myself some trouble and time by asking you paddlers about stability. I understand about initial and secondary stability, but have been wondering how much fly casting effects the wobble of a yak. If I get a yak narrower than 28" will I need to be worrying about staying upright when trying to reach as far as I can with a cast? Is the result of much arm waving and flailing about negligible?
I don't want to get a scow just for the sake of initial stability,but I don't want to go so narrow that I'm gonna get dumped when I'm not paying strict attention and trying to reach a fish that is just at the limits of my casting ability.
I'm prolly gonna try to get a yak that is 12' or less, but haven't decided if SIK or SOT is my yak of choice. We do have some cool weather here in Texas,so I'm kinda leaning toward a SIK. Maybe a Sundance or preferably the Airalite version.