It is time again for the annual Colorado Fly Fishing and Liver Abuse Festival. August 25-27 at Parshall, CO. Sorry for the short notice. I just realized it hadn?t been posted on this board.

This is not an official FAOL Fish-In. It is just a gathering a bunch of us have been having for a few years to fish and party with others we?ve met on the boards.

As the name implies, this gathering is not as family friendly as most. Daytimes are fine, but things can get a bit rowdy around the campfire at night. It tends to be a guy thing, but some women have enjoyed the campfires as well ?just not those with delicate ears. Not a biker rally, just a bunch of gentlemen letting down their hair, as the saying goes. (I, personally, no longer have hair to let down ?but I do still party.)

The following gives all the details. If you have questions, post them and I'll try to respond. It is a good time and I hope you can make it.

Where: Lone Buck Lease, Colorado River, Parshall, CO
When: August 25-27 (or 24, if you want to start early like a few of us?.)
Why: Meet some board members, throw a few back, toss some flies and have fun!

Directions:
The event is held at the Lone Buck campground. This is on Colorado route 40, west of Hot Sulphur Springs just past Byer?s Canyon and east of the small village of Parshall. The dirt road down to the campsite is to the south of 40 and is marked, but you?ll need to keep a sharp eye for the sign.

Westslope?take your preferred route toward Kremmling and head east on 40, go through Parshall and then just past the rifle range on the left, there is a pullout on the right side of the road with a sign for Lone Buck. Take road through fence and follow down bluff to river.

Front Range?Take your preferred route toward Granby and head west on 40 through Hot Sulphur Springs. Go down through Byers Canyon and cross bridge over river at bottom of canyon. Go up small hill and at the top will be the pullout on your left. If you reach rifle range on your right you?ve gone too far. Road down to river is marked for Lone Buck.

FAQ?s:

Camping:
BLM lease land which is a free-for-all. No reservations, no fees, no designated sites, no groomed tent pads, no water, no services, just a porta-let. Just an open field with plenty of room for tents, vehicles, campers, etc. The flip side of primitive camping and the advantage for us is no camp hosts, quiet hours, somebody to kick us out, etc. It is right on the river, so fishing is only a few footsteps away

How much water is there to fish?
A ton. River wise there is the William?s Fork, Colorado, Blue and various smaller creeks. Multiple accesses to the Colorado between Hot Sulfur and Kremmling and below. Stillwater around includes William Fork Res., Wolford, Green Mtn., and various other lakes in the area and up towards the park.

What about a float or day trip?
A few of us did float the Pumphouse run last year on Saturday but no one has made plans to do so this year that I'm aware of. If interested let me know and we can try to coordinate people. Shuttles are also available at Rancho Del Rio.

Day trips are more than welcome and a lot of people have done that in the past. It?s less than 2 hours from Denver so just come by camp in the morning and meet the crew. Coming up for just an evening, just fishing, part of a day, whatever is great!

What flies should I bring?
Pat Dorsey's reports are usually as good as anyone's, Almost always just what you will find when you arrive. Here's the link, sounds like things are good right now
http://www.bluequillangler.com/stream_print.html

Fishing Gear:
Waders, boots, etc. 3-5 weight rods with floating line will be sufficient.

What should I bring?
Whatever you normally would to camp and your fishing gear. Like I mentioned, campsite has a toilet but no water. Definitely bring bug dope of your choice and be prepared for mosquitoes.

Nearby services and food:
Parshall is only a couple minutes from camp and has one bar and one general store with a public phone and not much else. Hot Sulphur is also a very short distance and does have gas, lodging, hot springs, and more choices for food. The caf? on the west side of town on 40 has decent food and very good burgers.

Camp wise it?s pretty much bring your own but things to share are always welcome. In the past people have often brought breakfast items to share or a dinner dish. Completely at your own discretion.

What?s up with the Hot Springs?
We?ve done evening trips to the Hot Springs in the past and it?s always a fun and good way to get all the bug dope off at the end of a hot day. Pool hours are 8a-10p. Rates are normally $16.50 but go down to $10 after 8pm.
http://www.hotsulphursprings.com/ and there's a $4 off coupon you can print from the site.

Should I bring wood?
No fire restrictions at this time so hopefully it won?t be a problem. Mr. Pyro Kyner is gracious enough through his workplace to be able to supply some fine hardwood for our adventure but supplementing this is always welcome.

Can I bring other people?
Yes, anyone and everyone are invited. Bring your best fishing buddy or whoever you like to camp with. Wives are welcome but my advice would be that this has typically not been a family event. The evening gathering can by very raucous so be prepared for what you are getting them into.

Walkie-talkies?
Party line will be channel 9, code 6. Or to find someone if you come up late.