There are a lot of people that have been greatly disappointed in the rsults of what you are talking about. good advice is already given about what to do to check and see it you would like the results. I recently built an 8', spice quad on a Tim Zietac blank that is just an outstanding 5 wt that is very versatile. I don't know what taper he used, but it is superb. After building it, I had the second thought of using the mid and tip as a nice little 6'4" small stream rod using a grip and reel seat built onto an old section of bamboo with a female ferrule the same size as on the butt section of the Quad. I was extremely pleased with the shorter rod configuration and it casts exceptionally well with a little different action than the full quad as the action is a bit m ore parabolic due to the taper. but I have seen so many of these attemtped, or even worse, where someone had taken a 9' 3 piece rod and tried to make a 7 1/2' 3 piece rod out of it and it was so stiff that casting it felt like casting JC's proverbial broomstick.

I always take a small reel fitted with line and strip off enough line to cast the 2 sections to see what the result woudl be prior to going to the trouble and the expense of either adding a grip and a seat to a mid, or making a new grip/seat handle for the mid and tip. I see a lot of these cut down models sold on EBay as small stream 3 or 4 weights and I jsut don't see that happening without changing the taper.