+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellowstone

Default Yellowstone

I am going to Yellowstone the second week of Sept. Can anyone give me some tips on where to fish, where not to fish, flies to use etc? Any help woud be greatly appreciated as I have never been to Yellowstone before.

Spend some $'s and time in the first fly shop you can get to out there. Ask about water temps, which flies, when they are on the water, places where you can catch what you are after. Tell exactly the truth. Be very honest. It will pay.

Normand Guest

I'm going the third week in Sept and found alot of my info using GOOGLE. Just type in the search box "flyfishing yellowstone area" and search the results.

The park and surrounding area is loaded with streams, rivers and lakes to fish. I'm going to try the Madison, Gallatin, Gibbon rivers inside and outside of the park.

Theres so much info on the area I just cant list it all here. I also started researching about 2 months ago for flights, rental car and motel. Theres a bunch of fly shops in West Yellowstone and they should give you some good advice as to the where, when, why and how to's of fishing the area.

Fly shops to query

Blue Ribbon Flies
    Bud Lilys
    Bob Jacklin

Links:

http://www.yellowstoneparknet.com/lakes ... _river.php

http://www.flyfishingyellowstone.com/

Remember, GOOGLE will be a great help in finding what you need.

I would have tried to give you more detailed info but you don't want us to know anything about you. Your profile is blank. I tried to figure out where you might be entering the park, but without openess on your end, not much I can do. I was a licensed guide in the area at one time.

Were to fish. "Were you don't see any crowds". Were not to fish. "Were you see the crowds".

My advise if you have to fish the park is to be prepaired for people and lot's of them at times. You can sometimes get away from them by hiking off the beaten trail. You use to able to get away from the people by waiting to come after Labor Day but not as much anymore. Because of these things (Computers) the word is out about when to come. If you are willing to fish outside of the park there are any number of good fishing places. Check with local fly shops in Livingston, Gardner, Bozeman, Ennis and West Yellowstone. I have to say this and that is West Yellowstone is not as good a place as it use to be. There is better fishing in other areas now. And I guided out of west for several years so I do know the area. The Fly Shops will all be willing to help. I live here so that is what I would advise. Ron

PS: Be prepaired for snow to.

JC
    I have updated my profile. I am going to be staying approx. 17 miles north of the park and will be entering the north entrance. Hope this helps.

bkelly

Sure does. Thanks. Check with Bob Jacklinin in West Yellowstone. Honest.

JC if he is staying 17 miles North of the park West Yellowstone is about an hour and a half away from him. I would think that he could find help in Gardner faster. Try Parks Fky Shop or he could call Bailey's or Hatch Finders in Livingston. Lot faster if he wants to go to them. Also I will be willing to bet that most of his fishing will be in the north west cornner of the park as that is were most of it is now days. I know that Bob will help him very well just matter of driving time there is all. Ron

george anderson's yellowstone angler on rt. 89 livingston .

True Ron,,, It's just that I trust Bobby above all the rest and the drive along the Galltin is so nice.

+ Reply to Thread