+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Saturday, August 26, 2006: Yellow Breeches, PA

Default Saturday, August 26, 2006: Yellow Breeches, PA

I had three hours, mid-day, to fish the Breeches on Saturday (11:30 AM to 2:30 PM).

It was a pretty nice day. Warm, and over-cast, with a manageable breeze. I didn't use a thermometer, but was wet-wading and the water was cold on my legs, and very skinny and clear. They were taking something from the surface, but I couldn't tell what, and they seemed pretty happy with a size 12 Dave's Cricket anyway, so I didn't spend too much time trying to figure it.

In all, I brought 8 browns to hand, had 1 break me off, and missed a few takes. Those brought to hand included: 1 just over 16 inches, 1 just under 16, and the rest ranging from 11 -14. This section is not stocked, so these are stream-bread browns.

Eight nice trout in three hours, with minimal collateral damage, i.e., lost flies and tippet, so I will count it as an excellent day. No pictures, yet, because I don't have the guts to take my digital camera with me yet, so the film must be developed.

This is my first report, so I hope it's ok.

Dave Fulton

Dave,
    That's some quality fishing, & in just 3 hours!
    BTW, welcome to the absolute best board on the web. Those of us who have been here awhile have made many very good friendships through FAOL. It IS a family.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Thanks Mike!

It was kind of a day of retribution, for when I was there in mid-July, on my first ever guided trip. That day, my casting and hook-sets were off, and although I landed my first wild brown that day, I missed more takes and bombed more casts than I care to remember. I swore I'd go back and pay the fish back for mocking me ... especially the big one that broke me off (the guide estimated him at about 16 inches, based on a couple of jumps). So I worked on the things that the guide suggested, and went back to even the score.

I started fly fishing in June '04, and until this year targeted mostly SMB, but this has been the year of the trout for me. I think I hooked on trout ... on dries!

And thanks for the welcome aboard. I've been lurking for a long time, mostly just reading and trying to learn. Something happened to my old login, so I had to re-join recently.

BTW, the 16+ fish, that I caught on the last trip, came from the same lie as the one that broke me off a month earlier.

Thanks again!

Dave.

Be down on the Breeches tommorrow. Hope my friends and I do nearly as well as you did.

Dave,
    May I also add a hearty welcome. Noticed you hale from Frederick.(that is about a two hour+/- run from my part of MD) Will give ya a shout the next time we head up towards Big Hunting Creek. Enjoyed your post.
    Mike K.
    Eternal decisions can only be made on this side of eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by empeekay
    Dave,
    May I also add a hearty welcome. Noticed you hale from Frederick.(that is about a two hour+/- run from my part of MD) Will give ya a shout the next time we head up towards Big Hunting Creek. Enjoyed your post.
    Mike K.
    Thanks Mike!

My parents live in Nanjemoy, so using that as a point of reference, I'd agree with the 2 hr +/-. Yes, give me shout the next time you come up. Do you ever fish the upper Patuxent for trout?

Thanks again!

Dave

Dave,
    Yes "we" (son and I) do fish the upper Pax. Morgan Run, where ever, when ever we can. Had a day up on the Gunpowder with MrFishingToughGuy a couple of weeks ago. As you know, mostly warm a/o salt down this way. Nanjamoy...got to pump sunshine in down there. Drop me a note with your address, mine is available through the profile (should be). Got some major repairs to do after Ernesto. Will be tied up for a while, just a heads up.
    Cheerios,
    Mike K.

p.s. reckon you will have to use the personal note option.
    Eternal decisions can only be made on this side of eternity.

+ Reply to Thread