+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cozumel or Belize

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

Default Cozumel or Belize

Looking for a "Do It Yourself" fishing day in either place.

It doesn't have to be a secluded beach but I would hope for at least a little casting room and a place for the wife to sit on the beach with a book while I try to catch a fish or three.

I have 9 hours in Belize and Cozumel each to play around with. I could rent a car but I don't really care to. I'll be arriving by cruise ship.

Is there anything I've described close by in either place??
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

You'll need a guide/boat in Belize. If that's an option, check out Belize River Lodge for a one day trip.

3. Default

I've fished in both locations more than once. Belize has more flats fishing if that is what you are after. However, depending on where your cruise ship lands, it may require additional travel to get to a suitable location for flats fishing. In Coz, the flats fishing isn't as good as Belize or other locations around Ascension Bay... but still worth a try. A side trip can be easily arranged there. If you are interested in a guide, I can recommend one. Coz also offers deep water fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by n2permit
    You'll need a guide/boat in Belize.
    Even a half-day trip with a guide would probably be 6 hours or so depending on where I'd have to travel. I'm not looking to leave my bride for that long at a time. This is our 35th Anniversary celebration trip.

We have no excursions scheduled for these two places yet. I just thought I could find some accessible water close by for an hour or two.

Perhaps a cab ride to one of the beaches would suffice.

Thanks for your help though.

Belize City is the only place a cruise can port. Sorry but beaches nearby are 'nil. Take a look at belize forums or belize first for some "feel" for the opportunities. Although not fishing, I'd take the water taxi out to Caye Caulker, have a leisurely lunch and a few beers.

Almost forgot. You could take your flyrod along to CC. There are some bonefish near the cut.

Although not fishing, I'd take the water taxi out to Caye Caulker, have a leisurely lunch and a few beers.
    Almost forgot. You could take your flyrod along to CC. There are some bonefish near the cut.
    Thanks!!! This is kinda what I was looking for.

I was at CC this July and the Cut was really crowded with swimmers. But there are shallows that might have some bonies in them. And there IS a bar just on the shore so...

You want to fish the area to the left(west) of the beer joint at the cut. Most of the swimming activity is directly in front of, and to the east(right). Besides, to fish where folks are swimming you'd have to navigate through a bevy of scantily clad sunmaidens. Also, I have caught bonefish dredging off the east side of the island, right in the middle of the island/"downtown". If the water's calm you should be able to wade out quite a ways. Just make sure the boats can see you.

Impossible to flyfish in Cozumel without a boat, the reason is that the lagoon flats are not available by road.

You may tray Xcalac, that is even closer to Belize and I you can do it on your own, actually I just read an article in a maggasine about it, believe its call yucatan on your own.

I have never been there but I can put you in toach with people that have flyfish there. Very lonely place, no like Cozumel, very small hotels.

Pacho.

+ Reply to Thread