+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Water is a comin

Default New Water is a comin

Our mayor has anounced 2 new projects!

1: An expansion of our cities current holding pond for its water supply. Our towns primary supply comes from a small river to a holding pond then to the treatment/pumping plant. They are going to double the size of that pond to about 30 acres and allow ellectric motor or paddle only on the pond.
    2: The city council is buying 400 acres of farm land with TREES in the property lines deviding the parcells.Then their going to FLOOD it to a depth of 10-20 ft.This will yeild 335 acre LAKE and it will be fed by the same river.That river has cats gills bass and carp.

We're gettin a new fishin area.HOOOOOOORRRRRRRAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dennis

Blog Entries

That is great news! Might I suggest getting in touch with the Illinois Fish and Game folks to find out about any stocking plans and to lobby for such if no tin the works already.

Enjoy your new water!

The've been contacted.There is a plan to stock it once it is completed.they estimate an18 mo. timeframe to flooding.there is a levy to be built and bonds to be sold to finance it all. But the mayor and council are all ready seeking prospective clients to supply water to.The little resivoir is already under construction and the estimate it will be open for water in about 60-90 days but it is simply an expansion of what is already there.The head of the project is also a local bass club member and they wanted the thing just leveled and birmed but he convinced them to structure the bottom and it looks to be about 30 ft in spots.

completely cool! Sounds like a great place for a warmwater fish-in (hint, hint).
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Quote Originally Posted by teasels
    The've been contacted.There is a plan to stock it once it is completed.they estimate an18 mo. timeframe to flooding.there is a levy to be built and bonds to be sold to finance it all. But the mayor and council are all ready seeking prospective clients to supply water to.The little resivoir is already under construction and the estimate it will be open for water in about 60-90 days but it is simply an expansion of what is already there.The head of the project is also a local bass club member and they wanted the thing just leveled and birmed but he convinced them to structure the bottom and it looks to be about 30 ft in spots.
    What part of Southern Ill are you located? My family lives in Cave-in-rock (Hardin County)

I'm about 45 miles North of you in Wayne county 8 miles north of I64.I have fished the Ohio for gills up near the confluence of the wabash. Had a lot of luck with hoppers and crickets along the shoreline.
    Dennis

I am happy for you, that you have two sites that will help your community, with a reserve water supply, yet allow angling on the water.

I might suggest that those who are planning the project for a dam, to consider water release, to be from the bottom of the dam. This will help to eliminate silt from filling in behind the dam, causing the amount of water being stored over time.

The concept is very simple! Have a pipeline where the intake end of the pipe is at the lowest elevation in the center of the water body, and the exit end of the pipe is just slightly below the maximum elevation of the filled reservoir behind the dam.

This way, the discharge of water will take accumulated silt (that would otherwise build-up), out of the reservoir, increasing the life-span of the usefulness of the project.

I have had experience with this in the U.S. Army, when the base was building such as the bodies of water for the same multi-use purposes.

I was the Chief Surveyor and On-Site Project Manager for the dams.

They have to have discharge copabilities the area is a water shed for farm fields and a feeder to a small river.My mothers town of 98 people becomes an Island nearly every spring from rains and the river flooding.The main lake will also act as a flood control project. If they can get it built before a spring it would fill in 1 flood. The area that floods now is about 3 miles wide and up to 12-15 miles long and I have seen it 4 ft deep for days.Tnriverrat knows the area.It is out side Fairfield IL all the way to the interstate 64 and almost to carmi Illinois. When the Little Wabash river floods they don't measure it in acres they measure it in Miles and it floods often.They oil wells it that area are all setting on platforms 6 ft up just from the regularity of water.We often get water in the Wabash river between Indiana and Illinois that is 28-29 ft and has a flood stage at 24 ft.The little wabash floods at 16 ft and has often(sometimes 2x yearly) hit 28 ft.The areas that flood are mostly farm ground bottom land.
    Dennis

+ Reply to Thread