+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Update On Those Lost Fishermen

Default Update On Those Lost Fishermen

Article in sunday Oregonian newspaper said that those guys lost at sea for 9 months, were big heroes when they came home. The only problem is that some people are starting rumors that the deaths of two of their comrades needs investigating.
    Also the Mexican newspapers are digging up dirt on the surviviors.
    One of the men said he doesn't care wether anyone believes their story, as long as he is HOME.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I think there is something fishy about the whole thing...Surviving 9 months on an occasional fish (their words)and some rainwater??? I guess we will have to wait for the movie. Lot of unanswered questions. How much food did they take with them? They were planning to be out several weeks..how long were they able to make that food last... How did they collect rain water. How come no one got sick except the two guys who refused to eat raw fish and starved to death at some point. How long after they set out did their engine conk out...Did they immediately began rationing the food they brought... Why did the one fellows aunt they interviewed say they were only gone 3 months... I wish they would say a little more about it besides that they sang songs and read the bible, unwound a steel cable to use a strand for a fishing line and sawed and filed a home made hook.... How ever long they were out they were darn lucky to be eventually picked up....

At least one of the fishermen had survival skills and he knew how to read the Bible.
    I have owned 2 boats in my life and I came to the conclusion that it wasn't wise to put all your eggs in one basket. You paid a lot of money for your boat and you only have ONE motor?? and no electronics??
    Your asking for trouble.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Let me get this right. They were fishermen, shark fishermen. Out on a fishing voyage? No rods, lines, hooks, or even fish from the previous foray? Sounds fishy to me. My sister in Oregon has a friend who lives in San Blas. she spoke with him and he says the little village is a bee hive of reporters. I asked her to contact Tony again and find out more on the saga of the lost fishermen. She says the Portland Oregonian newspaper did an article on the story last Sunday.
    Regarding the craft they were in. A 25 ft Panga is an open heavily built fiber glass boat with a high bow, narrow transom and faily high freeboard. The motor is always hand driven, even up to 100 hp. Maybe 2 or three bench seats no cover....we are talking open. 90 percent are painted red, white interior...just trying to give you a picture. Gas is sometimes in a 50 gallon drum, yes, drum in the boat. Mostly 3 or 4 regular 5 gallon gas cans. A cooler with ice (block) and a canvas bag of food (mostly corn tortilla's, fruit and sickenly sweet bottled fruit drinks} How long would you last with this diet? I am still waiting to hear more from my friend in San Blas.

A Panga. The fishermen in the article where using a similar craft but the outboard was hand steered. FYI.

+ Reply to Thread