Well, I though I would take Dad to one of the lakes in our area tonight, but he insisted that we go to a stream because he thinks you have to be on a stream to FF!

Well, we got there around five o'clock and he went to find a nice slow moving pool to sit at. I rigged up my rod with one of my recently tied PT (which looks like what it is... a fly tied by a newbie). Found a nice pool, roll cast... back cast... tree! I managed to get my fly out of the tree without breaking anything.

Now it's time for my second cast. I carefully looked behind me and situated myself to avoid a tree on my backcast. Got some line out, picked up for a cast... tree! There was one of to the side and I managed to find it. I was starting to get a little frustrated. Got the fly out again with a little patience.

Now, third cast. Roll cast, Roll cast, Roll cast, back cast.... loaded rod and it looked beautiful! I managed to get into a few more trees throughout the night, but it was ok... I was having a lot of fun. Most of my casts looked horrible, but some were pretty good. Just need more time in the water!!!!

Tried the PT, switched to a SHWAPF, then another SHWAPF, then a buck tail. Never had a hit, but I sure did have fun.

Oh well, the fish better look out next weekend! I talked Dad into going to his favorite lake on Sat. He'll fish with a spinner, I'll be practicing my cast. But I'm sure we'll both have a lot of fun!

Just wanted to share my first evening on the water with a flyrod in 16 years. I'm starting to remember what I enjoyed so much as a 15 year old, now that I'm almost 32, I think it will melt the stress of life away!

[This message has been edited by Weasel (edited 01 May 2005).]