I've started to consider how to build an anchor system for my kayak, like to Joe Hydes soft canoe anchor system. I didn't want to try and aquire the materials (bags & shot) to buld the anchor bags so I went to the local sporting goods store and purchased a pair of adjustable 5 lb. ankle weights. The weights are individual plastic tubes of shot which are inside a zipped water-resistant pouch with a velcro strap at one end and a D-ring at the other. I don't intend to remove any of the weight from the pouches, I just like the fact the shot is sealed in plastic.

I'm going to replace the existing lightweight D-rings with stronger ones. Then I'll use a hook clip to attach them to the lines. Now I just have to rig my lines and get some cleats attached.

I'm looking forward to getting out on the water with a dual anchor system. It means I'll have my fly in the water more than my paddle.

Nearly forgot to mention, the ankle weights I found were between $16 and $21 depending on where you purchase them.