+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not exactly fly fishing..

Default Not exactly fly fishing..

Im going to be using my fly rod tomorrow..but i am taking my little cousin fishing tomorrow as well..How well does skein or roe work for steelhead?..I wanna make sure he has a good chance f catching something

I don't know how roe will work where you live , but here on the Oregon coast it is a killer bait. That is why so many drift type lures are made to represent a small piece of roe. A few years back they even thought of banning it as a bait. If I am spin fishing for steelhead all I use is a little gob of roe and a small piece of orange yarn for bait. Add a little lead weight to get it down and you are set.

Rocky

may be too early for skein...I would use minnows or worms above a float. I'm fishing the mouth of Cattaraugus Creek in my float tube in the am if it's calm. I'll be using sink-tip and minnow imitations.
    There's no sense in being dumb unless you get to show it off once in a while...

Default egg sacks

Up in Rochester NY on Lake Ontario, drifting egg sacks is the thing among spin fishermen who work the fall salmon run from the piers. Salmon eggs are tied up in a nylon mesh to make a ball about the size of a quarter. Some will add egg sized pellets of Styrofoam to give it a bit of floatation. A nickle size dipsy sinker is strung on the line and held about a foot or so above the bait by a small split shot. The line is cast out , the rod is propped up on a block of 2x4 with the bail open. The line coming out of the bail is run around the neck of an empty beer bottle. When the salmon takes the bait the bottle is knocked over, and the fun begins. It ain't fly fishn' but it does make for a nice evening, sitting in folding chairs, hanging out , shootin the breeze.
    AgMD

+ Reply to Thread