+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Match the hatch

Default Match the hatch

Eggs...I think I need a lesson , anyone wanna help?..Do eggs vary in color from place to place? Like will steelhead in one area go after pink before yellow?..If so, then in western new york whats the hatch?I bought a whole bunch of glo bug yarn in yellow, orangish, and pink..and Im ready to tie some egg flies

2. Default

Not only do you need to worry about the correct color, but you also need to consider how the fish like their eggs. You know, sunny side up, poached, scrambled?.

Use natural & lighter colors such as peach, champagne and salmon egg in clearer water and more brilliant colors such as the orange in cloudy water. If I am fishing an egg type imitation I usually go with a sucker spawn pattern size 12 or 14 tied with angora yarn. I?ll give you a few.

Thank you brian ...im not very good at tying flies either..maybe a few lessons would be nice?So go for light colors in clearer water and brighter in cloudy?..Can you use glo bug material to tie sucker spawns?If so..your welcome to some of it..cant offer you much..

4. Default

Tying the sucker spawn can be done a few different ways. I?ll show you how I do it and we can try to use the material you have and see what happens. Not sure if you saw my other post regarding C&R of Steelhead in WNY right now. Just want to point out that if C&R is your plan check the water temps. If water is at or above 70 deg F the stress of the catch will probably result in death of fish. The fish may swim away, but warm water temps already have fish the stressed, so delayed mortality occurs.

I think diameter-size has a lot to do with it. Though I could be wrong having caught only one silverbullet on 7 outings in 3 years.
    And that steelie was caught w/a nymph!
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

3 Years ago I visited my sister for Christmas in NW Indiana. Having never visited that area I went searching for fins ops on the internet. Discovered a creature they call a Steelhead that runs the rivers and and haunts the Great Lakes. Spent days and nites on this site for info...
    http://steelheadsite.com/content/reports.php
    Hope it'll give you some insight for NY steelies.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

"Match the Hatch"! Sometimes when I hear that phrase, I am reminded of the old movie advertisements, "Cast of Thousands" for some epic movie.

I have caught more fish using a floating Caddis pattern, during a Blue-wing Olive Mayfly hatch, then my friends who were using the correct Blue-wing Olive Mayfly pattern.

Trico's, throw out a big *** "Stimulator"! You will be surprised at what happens.

Try being the "Black Sheep", in a "White Flock", your fly will get noticed by the biggest fish in the pool.

Little Rock AR, wishing I was still in Anchorage, AK

this weekend i was fishing for dollies on a local river. They didnt care what color the egg pattern was they just went after it.

A question to you all now, do any of you use beads when fishing for steelhead or rainbows?

http://troutbeads.com/

+ Reply to Thread