+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rio Fluroflex Plus

Default Rio Fluroflex Plus

Recently purchased 6X Rio Fluroflex Plus and hoping for input from other anglers who have used same. My experience is poor knot holding ability and also breaks very easily. Today, lost two fish due to breakage and 1 to knot ailure. Also experienced several times when tippit was tied to the leader, breakage of the tippet when testing the connection. Any others have this or could I have possibly gotten a bad batch? Thanks for any input.
    Crackleback?Bob A

Always interesting reports. So far, I have never confirmed that any company ever marketed a 'bad batch,' but I love to see it in print so often. Leaders, tippet, fly lines,,, all good. Remember, all tippet is made for different functions; abrasion, stretch, etc. Select the correct knot for the material you use.

I used 6 and 7X FlouroFlex Plus at the 'Fish-In' last week for the small flies we mainly used. The only problem I had was a leader/tippet knot fail but I think the leader was way too thick for the 7X tippet I tied on.
    Tie carefully and be sure to moisten the knot before tightening is all I can suggest!

Hmmmm....

I have nothing but good things to say about Rio FluoroFlex Plus. After trying several brands of fluoro I ranked it at the top of my list. I used the 7X almost all of last season with no issues and it is STRONG for its diameter.

Other fluoro brands that have treated me very well:
    • * Varivas - great but very hard to find

* Orvis - I horsed and landed a pig from a wood pile with the 6X; made me a believer!

* Seaguar - I am now using their 8X and so far it is strong and supple.
    The absolute worst I ever used is Umpqua. It was so bad it became a joke among my friends and we passed it along to others unsuspecting anglers as a cruel joke.

Default Re: Rio Fluroflex Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Crackleback
    Recently purchased 6X Rio Fluroflex Plus and hoping for input from other anglers who have used same. My experience is poor knot holding ability and also breaks very easily. Today, lost two fish due to breakage and 1 to knot ailure. Also experienced several times when tippit was tied to the leader, breakage of the tippet when testing the connection. Any others have this or could I have possibly gotten a bad batch? Thanks for any input.
    Crackleback?Bob A
    I pretty much use the Rio Flouroflex exclusively, and have zero issues with it. I recently switched to the Orvis, and have had quite a few knot failures. I'll be going back to the Rio.

When I first started using the Rio, I had knot issues - Almost all my knots broke. I did some asking around, and learned three useful things:

1. Always we the knot before cinching it.
    2. Only use a Pitzen knot. I learned to do this on the recommendation of another angler. They almost never break on me. I used to use a clinch or trilene, and they always broke in Flourocarbon. I now use the pitzen for everything.
    3. Always connect the flourocarbon tippet to the leader with a blood knot only. Again, in flourocarbon, I got a large percentage of breaks on a surgeons knot. I can now tie a blood faster than a surgeons anyway.

This is just my method, and it works well for me. I hope that you find the information useful.

Regards,
    Jeff

The Seaguar guys recommend the [url=http://www.netknots.com/html/seaguar.html:9aa87]Seaguar Knot[/url:9aa87] for Mono leader to Fluoro tippet connections. It's pretty easy and it has been working for me.

It is my personal favaorite tippet for trout fishing. It is extremely strong for a given diameter and I did not have any knot problems.
    I primarily use pitzen & nonslip loop for leader to fly knots, and a 3 turn surgeon for laeder to tippet. I am sure the seagar knot would also work
    for leader to tippet. It is basically a figure 8 knot with acouple extra twists.

My thanks for the input on the Rio Fluro+Plus. Obviously, the problems I had are more due to my knot tying and not the product. Something I have to work on more, it seems. I know Rio puts out a good product! Thanks Again,
    Crackleback?Bob A

crackle, don't listen to this non-sense. Like it's impossible to have gotten a bad batch of tippet. It has happened to me several times. I just love how no one answered your question.

Check your knots with known good tippet. Have you ever had problems in the past with your knots? Site sponsor, or not, I have had bad RIO tippet in the past with the same problems you described. I am not saying it came from the factory that way. It could very well have been the way it was handled in shipping, at the shop, whatever. The point is to trouble shoot your problem before you loose a good fish to bad tippet. Don't just assume it must be you. It very well could be the tippet is bad.

Default Knots

Bob,
    I have never used that particular brand of Flouro tippet, only Seaguar.

On a trip to the Mo a couple years ago I did find that a TRIPLE surgeons knot (3 times thru) was needed for attaching tippet to mono so it didn't break too easily. Then the knot was quite good.

And as mentioned, I use the Pitzen for my tippet to hook knot for this same stuff and find I use it all the time now.

HTH some,

Jeremy.

+ Reply to Thread