+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lochsa River, Idaho

Default Lochsa River, Idaho

I was camped out on the Lochsa the first of June, of this year, bear hunting. It was a beautiful river and looked like it would be good fishing. Naturally I had not packed my rod. What puzzled me is the whole week I was there I never seen a fisherman. I'm going back next June and was wondering if it would be worth my while to take the rod this year.

slinger09,
    Yes, the Lochsa has fish in it. Native Westslope Cutthroat, a few salmon, and a few Steelhead. Maybe even a Rainbow or two. That's where we are having the Idaho Fish-In next month. In June however, I think the flow of the river may be a bit much for good fishing. That time of year is usually filled with rafting the rapids. Check out the Fish-In links on the left side of our home page. Click on Idaho Fish-In '06, for more information.
    God Bless,
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Default Lochsa - season

The Lochsa is a protected westslope cutthroat fishery. The season is closed in it and its tributaries until after the fish finish spawning. I do not think that it opens until Memorial day (I think). At that point the river is pretty high, hard to fish, and tough to wade. It usually gets down enough to fish after July 4.

David

Default Re: Lochsa - season

Quote Originally Posted by djo
    The Lochsa is a protected westslope cutthroat fishery. The season is closed in it and its tributaries until after the fish finish spawning. I do not think that it opens until Memorial day (I think). At that point the river is pretty high, hard to fish, and tough to wade. It usually gets down enough to fish after July 4.

David
    Too bad. It would have worked out great I could hear the river roaring every night from my tent. Unfortunately bear season ends second week of June so my timing will be a little off.

You have to remember there is also the Selway and the Clearwater, when the Selway and the Locha meet, to form the Clearwater at Lowell.

There is a good article on the Locha, Selway, and Clearwater; here on FAOL.

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/travel/idaho2002/:56ba5]Idaho Fish In, Click Here![/url:56ba5]

+ Reply to Thread