We stood in line this morning for about 35 minutes, with coffee in hand, and was some of the first 100 people through the door this morning on opening day to the public. No drawings, prizes, cheap giveaways, special event, etc. (I was sort of hoping for a refill of my coffee mug ) We did have a round of applause by all the store employees as we all walked through. Okay, I wasn't expecting drawings for their rods, grills, or tents, but after ALL the free press they got from the media, something other than clapping would have been a nice gesture. I didn't see any special sales either... (We did hear that yesterday's preopening to card and internet members had a great showing with the line about 150 yards long to get in the door.)

Last year we were in Salt Lake City and drove down to Lehi to see our first Cabelas. WOW. What a store. We walked around for 3 1/2 hours and knew when we left we could have spent another hour.

When Boise Cabelas opened, we knew it was going to be smaller just by the shape of the building they leased/bought. It is a disappointment, however. It is very toned down...I'd say half the floor space of the Lehi store.

The Boise stored stated they had the largest fishing section of any Cabelas because of Idaho's reputation for its fishing. I really did not see a large difference between the Lehi fishing dept and Boise's. I was very disappointed in the fly fishing area. IF it has the largest area, it's geared more toward the bass/warmwater (ie boating) and the spinning segments.

We did buy some of their discount flies and couple items for our boys that we promised we would get them next time we visited a Cabela's. Will we be going back? Probably when they have Christmas sales. Otherwise, I'll be sticking to the locally owned Boise fish stores. Keep the money in town.