+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RIO Outbound

Default RIO Outbound

Has anyone had experience with this line -- partiularly the Type 6 or 8 sinking? I intend to use it on a Sage RPLXi 9' 10 wt in Narragansett Bay (stripers, blues). Appreciate any comments.
    Dave

Dave= I've been using the Rio outbound floater in 9wt on my 10wt rods for the surf, but haven't put in enough time with it to know if its really good. The head on the 9wt weighs in at 375 ggrains (the lower end of the 12wt range) which makes the line feel like a one piece shooting head. What line are you using on your rod now-measured in grains and trry and match it with the same weight Rio and you should be fine. Hope this helps. Ron

I just got a couple of those lines 2 weeks ago and love them. They turned my rods into rocket launchers. I have an 8wt (330 grains) floater on my 6 wt rod and a 10 wt (425 grains) on my 8wt rod and they totaly eliminate false casting even in a head wind. I can easily throw out 60 to 70 feet of line with only one backcast. With a properly loaded rod there is no need for a stipping basket. You may want to try out different grain weights on your rod before purchasing one
    Your hooks sharp????

Quote Originally Posted by Micropteris
    I just got a couple of those lines 2 weeks ago and love them. They turned my rods into rocket launchers. I have an 8wt (330 grains) floater on my 6 wt rod and a 10 wt (425 grains) on my 8wt rod and they totaly eliminate false casting even in a head wind. I can easily throw out 60 to 70 feet of line with only one backcast. With a properly loaded rod there is no need for a stipping basket. You may want to try out different grain weights on your rod before purchasing one
    I had my 9wt out Sunday night with the WF8F Rio line and was doing quite nicely with the schoolies that had the small menhaden bottled up in a small cove when I get hit by a good blue, then a second hit and the line went limp- the second blue had hit the factory loop at the tip of the fly line and cut me off. Switch rods but makes sure I'm not throwing another Rio till the loops are removed, they make good lures all by themselves. I did manage to get one more blue about 10#'s. The Rio lines are great but that factory loop is not good around blues. Ron

I am not a fan of the factory loops either. I have heard complaints that they have failed with moderate fish on. The flyline coating is so soft that the first time it used the line the loop of my leader but cut down to the fly line core and flared out the coating so it looked like I had little wings coming out the sides of the loop. I cut off the loop and put a section of 50 lb braided mono with a spliced loop and attach my leader to that.

You have to remember though that when the blues are active they will hit anything that moves, no matter how big or small.

Don't just go by what the rod states on its label. Experiment with different grain weights. Rod weights are determined with long lengths of line out and high line speeds, which is fine for the lawn, not surf. Most of my striper fishing is done at night from shore wihin 50 ft and a quick flick of the wrist. I want a line that loads the rod with only 20-30 ft of line out the tip because there is usually a cliff right behind me. At night I can't see my line so I need to be able to feel it load the rod. Let the rod do the work not your elbow
    Your hooks sharp????

+ Reply to Thread