+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much is enough backing?

Default How much is enough backing?

Curious as to how much backing y'all put on your reels.
    Do you put on enough to build the reel up so that the fly line meets the outer diameter of the reel spool or do you select a specific distance (ie 50 yds) and call it good?
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Dear Wednesday Caster,

I try to follow the recommendation of the reel manufacturer, and fill the reel close to absolute capacity. It makes for less coiled line, but that is about all. It seems that the only time I see my backing is when I replace a fly line.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

I put enough on to fill the reel. It helps keep the memory of smaller coils out of the flyline. I put the flyline on the reel first and then the backing, that way I know just how much to use. Then I take it all back off and reverse the process. It may take a little longer to do it this way but I hate putting on what I think is the right amount of backing then putting my flyline on only to find out I either have to much backing or not enough.

Rocky

There is a chart for a lot of reel makers that lists what type of reel you have and how much backing you should put on. I've seen some as few as 50 yards and some as much as 250 yards. I have one of those charts somewhere...which means I forgot exactly where it is right now, but I can find it given enough time.

If you want, drop me a note and I'll try and dig it up.

This is what I found while searching on the web:
    INSTALLING FLY LINE ON A REEL
    Install the backing first.
    Most fly fishers fill the spool of the reel with as much backing as possible to allow them to retrieve faster and to reduce line memory. Thereby the line is less likely to tangle.
    Read the reel capacity chart to determine the amount of backing needed for the reel.
    Find and loosen the end of the backing. Remove a few feet of line from the spool. Run the tag end through the front of the reel, around the spool, and out again. Tie a simple overhand slipknot in the tag end, then a single overhand knot, tighten and trim it. This tag end will be tied to the reel with an arbor knot.
    The backing should be installed by pulling it off a revolving spool. If the spool is laid flat on the ground and the backing coiled off (as when filling an open-faced spinning reel), it will twist and become tangled.
    Place a bunt pencil through the center of the spool of backing, so that the spool will rotate around the pencil
    Place pencil between your knees. With the end of the backing tied to the reel, reel the backing onto the reel from the backing spool preferably through your fingers to apply tension while loading the line and to load the backing evenly onto the reel. Stop when enough backing is on the reel.

Spooling fly line
    Open the coil pack holding the fly line by twisting and carefully remove the fly line from the coil pack. Remove twist-ties from the line and replace it on coil pack. DO NOT place the line on the floor, because it will cause the line to twist or become entangled. Put the coil pack back together, leaving approximately a foot of line outside the coil pack. Tie the tagged end of the fly line to the backing using an Albright knot.
    Insert a blunt pencil through the hole in the center of the coil pack, so that the pack will freely rotate around the pencil.
    Place pencil between your knees and spool line slowly onto your reel. Guide line trough your fingers to apply tension and to load the line evenly onto the reel. The fly line should be fully loaded except 4 or 5 feet.
    Attach the butt (thick end) of your leader to the end of your fly line using a nail knot.

What ELKHUNTER said. I think I've used 20 or 30# dacron or whatever stuff was available. Just enough so that the line ends up about 1/8 inch below the frame. Do not use monofilament.

Allan

I had my backing put on at the fly shop that I frequent. They followed the manufacturere's recommendations and put on enough of it that between the backing and the fly line, it pretty much filled up the reel.

The problem was that when I was taking in line, sometimes the fly line would "stack up" in one spot, making it thicker than usual, and then the fly line would rub and drag on the reel. So, I took a bit of the backing off. Now, I've got some extra space, but I don't have the rubbing issue.

So, you might want to consider using a little less backing than recommended.

I put the flyline on first and then wrap the backing on until the reel is full. Then I remove everything and reverse the process. The result is a perfectly filled reel without all the guesswork as to how much backing to load.
    Gary

I'm still doing the put it on backwards, cut backing,unwind, and put it all back on the right way method. I've shifted from a "how much backing can fit", thouhg, mode to a "how much will keep me from binding".

I mostly fish in situations that never get me into my backing. I apprceiate the larger remembered coils I get with plenty of backing, but also prefer not to have to worry about line stacking and binding when reeling in.

Whatever floats your boat!

Observations...

As alluded to above out fishing we can often wind the line on more loosely than when originally wound on...so make sure there is plenty of clearance to begin with.

In fact, now I purposely wind my lines on with very little tension because it seems to me it is less likely to set.

This may only make things worse,
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/cst/cst041204.html

+ Reply to Thread