+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How much backing for TX coast?

Default How much backing for TX coast?

Hi again,

I have a couple of 7 wts I would like to take with me to the TX coast so Idont have to buy so much stuff. I am planning on buying a 8 or 9 wt outfit. The reels I have on the 7s currently have about 90-100 yds of dacron backing. It's fine for fresh water. I just found out that the capacity for 30-35 lb Gel-Spun is about 150 yds. Is that enough? How much is enough to get by on and how much is optimal?

I am hoping to rent a kayak and do some flats fishing, redfish etc.

-wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Default Re: Backing

I have 150 yards of backing on my 8 wt rig and think it is enough, however I am not an expert at saltwater or freshwater fishing, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. That should be planty to handle redfish, trout and flounder. Now a big Jack Creval might spool you if hook up with one of those beasts, but I think that should be plenty.

If you have not already done so, check Texaskayakfisherman.com, that is a good resource for coastal Texas waters. So where will you be fishing on the coast?

I took all 4 spools out to the local driving range to see what I really had. Two of them have 150 yds of Gel-Spun and the other two have 100 yds of dacron. I think I'll take the dacron spools in and have them swapped out with Gel-Spun so I dont have to keep track of which spool has which backing.

Good, your answer makes me feel better about what I have. I am considering buying a 8 or 9 wt outfit. I'll make sure that one has more backing capacity.

I am hoping to take a 6, 7 and either a 8 or 9 with me.

wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Unless you happened to hit a bull red, which isn't really likely this time of year, particularly in the bays, 150 yds should be fine. If you were to be fishing out by one of the passes, such as Pass Cavallo on Matagorda Bay, you could run into some BIG Jacks, but again, inside the bays, on the flats they aren't likely. I HAVE landed a 25 pound Jack on a trout casting rig, with 12 pound test using a Shimano Bantam reel, so with a good fly rod you might even handle one of them.

If not, just think of the story you'd have

If your fishing from a kayak, backing isnt going to be an issue if big jack locks on to ya. Satilite tracking devise may come in handy tho, cause your in for a long ride cowboy.
    Capt. Paul Darby Dont wait to be ask, get out and teach.

Wayne,

100 yds of 20# backing will be enough for most everything in the bays. If you get out in the surf and some jacks or tarpon, you will need more.

Tight lines, Chris

I have 150 on all my reels but my 10wgt that one has 200. I agree about the bays needing only about 100 or so but I like to be safe. Ron

+ Reply to Thread