+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Teaching 200 5th graders to cast for the first time

Default Teaching 200 5th graders to cast for the first time

That's what I did today. I can say that it's not easy to teach 25 at a time to cast in 30 minute intervals, but there were some good prospects in the bunch. I heard over and over all day "my dad fly-fishes" or my grandfather.. . My answer was the same: "Get him to take you". Hopefully this will pay off, although if all these kids start to fish I don't think there will be a peaceful spot on the rivers around here ever again. It was almost painful to see how they treated some of the loaners from the local shop, Sage SLTs and XPs and a Winston that had no place in the hands of a fifth grader. Love that lifetime warranty I guess.

God bless you Benjo !!!!

Benjo, good for you man! I will bet that some of those kids will come to the sport. Impressive.

Way to go Ben. So now when are you gonna settle down and start workin' on your own group of youngsters?

Jerry

------------------
    Dream the Life, Live the Dream
    Laugh at yourself first and all else falls into place
    Board of Directors, Valley Forge Trout Unlimited

[url=http://www.flyreeldots.com:6b386]FlyReelDots.com[/url:6b386]
    FAOL Sponsor
    Dream the Life ~ Live the Dream

Man you are tough.hope your life and heath insurance are paid up.2oo fifth graders! I would rather try to teach a grizzly bear to cast.
    We all know the area code for heaven is 406

Benjo,
    I am married to an elementary school (4th grade) teacher & have accompanied her classes on some outings.....I trust you are heavily sedated??
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Benjo,
    I have done some "teaching" much as you describe for a number of years in the past. Every sixth grader in Steuben County NY in groups of about 15 with about 15 minutes or less to a group. The kids at least had a day in the fresh air and some wanted to persue the sport. Most were spin fishers wanting to change...they were the most difficult to teach and the un-initiated little ladies were quickest to latch on to it!

Ol' Bill

Omigosh! What a day!

A little bit goes a long way. You never know what seeds you planted.

As an educator, I'd enjoy hearing what the "Day" was - spring field day? Earth Day event? and how it was set-up, etc., if you have a minute.

Great job!
    Kat

Kathy Scott,
    I don't remember what the day was called but it was carried out in a large park. There were numerous stations that the groups would visit at the sound of a horn...There were forrestry, safety, environmental etc stations. Not much time was spent at each station but it was fun and informative. I would still be doing it but I can't stand that long any more. I sent an E-mail with details.

Ol' Bill

Good for you Benjo! I know how you feel as I've done the same thing with 7th and 8th graders. I've done this through the Trout In The Classroom Program. You can learn more about this program at [url=http://www.troutintheclassroom.com/.:4ed46]www.troutintheclassroom.com/.[/url:4ed46] I've been running this program for the past 10-12 years. Trout in the classroom is a science unit in which students from grades K-12 learn the importance of our natural resources through observing and studying the life cycle of the trout. The trout are raised in a refrigerated aquarium from eggs provided by the Department of Fish and Game. By caring for the trout and observing their various stages of development, the students learn the importance of water quality, ecosystems and natural life cycles. Incorporating studies in art, mathematics, writing skills, social studies and economics with the study of earth and life science add even more to the value of the program. At the end of each cycle, the students have an opportunity to release the trout fry at a local lake or stream approved by the Department of Fish and Game. This is not a hatchery or replenishment program. It is meant to acquaint students with the importance of keeping our environment healthy and how beneficial that can be to all of us. We are raising environmental awareness by raising trout. Just thought you'd like to know. Take-care!

+ Reply to Thread