+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: furled leaders

Default furled leaders

My fishin partner Joe has got me interested in furled leaders. I have enough projects going on here and to keep the missus happy I would just like to purchase one if anyone has an idea where I could do so. Thanks, Clyde

Clyde, I did not see furled leaders on Creekside's online catalog. In Albany, Two Rivers Fly Shop has them. I expect one or more FAOL sponsors might have them as well. Furled leaders cast very well for me.
    Paul

This link http://www.feather-craft.com/2006Sum...age.asp?page=6
    will take you to these.

Default Furled Leaders

Hi,

Rusty Gates at Gates Lodge sponsors this site, and carries the 6-ft thread furled leaders. His contact info is:

Telephone
    989 348-8462
    FAX
    989 348-2541
    Postal address
    Gates Au Sable Lodge
    471 Stephan Bridge Road
    ????????? Grayling,? MI 49738
    Electronic mail
    General Information: gator@gateslodge.com

This is self-promotion, of a sort, as I made them (sorry), but Rusty's a great guy.

There are also many makers on this site, and a couple more commercial producers. You should have no trouble locating some; you'll just have to decide what type you'd like to try, or try a few and let us know what you thought for your conditions.

Good luck,
    Kat

I have one or two and still dont know what to do with it. I have heard that they are mainly for dry fly fishing. Here in Arkansas most of the trout fishing is nymphs with strike indicators. Can you put a indicator on the furled section of the leader without ruining it?

My setup most of the time is a 9-10 ft leader ending in 6x flouro and an indicator anywhere from 3ft to 6-7 ft above the fly. That would put it on the furled leader.

wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Default furled leader

Others will, hopefully, chime in here, but, for my part, most strike indicators wouldn't hurt any of the furled leaders I use. I don't actually use a strike indicator, though. Instead, I make a bright orange furled leader, to which I attach four feet of 5x tippet. The bright color gives me a long strike and drift indicator, handy when fishing nymphs.

Hope this helps,
    Kat

Clyde, email me your shipping addy I will send a furled leader right out to you. That way you will be able to try them and see how you like them. I do not make them yet but plan to real soon. For what it is worth Kathy Scott, makes some fantastic ones. I do use hers. But there are many folks on here that make them. John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

Default furled leaders

Tons of good makers!
    In fact, there have even been a few from Australia, lately.

I wonder if FAOL has become the furled leader center of the Universe?

Kat

Thanks to Kathy Scott's furled leader making DVD, I make and use my own. I have done plenty of research on them and this is what I have discovered:

1. I love making my own and using them and will never go back to using anything else. I nymph fish 99% of the time and use the mono or fluorocarbon furled leaders since they sink. I will use them for the few times that I am fishing a dry fly and they work fine during those times. I have changed Kathy's leader board peg positions so that my leaders are 7' long and I attach a 5' fluorocarbon tippet (4 pound test) to the end. I make my furled leaders from 4 pound test mono or fluorocarbon for my 5 and 6 weight rods. I make a furled leader for my 4 weight from Coats & Clarke 100% nylon Quilting Thread which can be purchased at any Wal-Mart. It is .005 diameter and makes a very nice small furled leader.

2. I do not use the 6/0 tying thread furled leaders. Most of those who do use the thread furled leaders are coating them with their floatant so that they will float with the dry fly. The mono or nylon furled leaders can be coated with floatant to assist them with floating if need be. If you use the thread furled leaders I would recommend that you make sure that they have a chance to dry completely after use or they could mildew on you and become weak.

You will find that there are those who literally hate a furled leader and those that love them. You will find those who hate a mono furled leader and love the thread furled leader. You will receive pros and cons all over the place and I would recommend that you try one first and make up your own mind and do not let others make it up for you. I love using them for my style of flyfishing. Furled leaders are not the same as braided leaders so do not confuse them. They are 2 different leaders and a lot of people who have tried the braided leader do not like them and have assumed that the furled leader is the same thing and they are not.

I will be happy to make you up a furled leader from tying thread and from mono if that is what you would like to try. Just let me know. There will be no charge.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Default Re: furled leaders

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Scott
    Tons of good makers!
    In fact, there have even been a few from Australia, lately.

I wonder if FAOL has become the furled leader center of the Universe?

Kat
    Kathy, not just FAOL, but several others. I give my clients one to try and a some have ordered since. Also, anytime I send out flies to people, I include one to try. Been very well received. On another forum as gentleman kept asking me for pictures of my set-up and I told him to get you DVD. Hopefully you are getting these orders.
    Rock on woman!
    Joni

+ Reply to Thread