+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tiki Torches as flyrods

Default Tiki Torches as flyrods

You know those tiki torches that just look cool but dont work on misquitos?..well they are made out of bamboo..would I be able to use those to make a rod?.

Sure, it will work as well as or possibly better than a broomstick.
    TIP -- ** DO NOT ** light the tiki torch before casting! It will burn through your expensive fly line, and may violate local fire bans....there's a drought going on out west, you know.

I didnt mean use it as is..I meant to take the bamboo pole and split it and blah blah blah..

Why on EARTH would you want a fly rod made of bamboo?????? I'd suggest picking up a "project" rod. Odds are you could find one pretty cheap. Now, if only you could find someone with a bunch of bamboo rods lying around....

Regards,
    Joe Martin
    Salem, OR

Pretty cheap...not cheap enough..and who ever that is in the picture..hes my guy..lol

There are many species of bamboo. The bamboo best suited for rod building is 'tonkin' bamboo.

My internet research has shown that tonkin cane is also used for many other bamboo products, such as garden stakes, flag poles and patio furniture. There is a fair change that the tiki torch is actually the same cane.

There are however some significant differences between rodbuilding cane and cane for other uses. Bamboo for rod building is specifically graded and selected for that use. Good rod building material has a 3-4 inch diameter, graded for mature culms with a high density of power fibers and a small amount of soft pith, a wall thickness over 1/4". 14-16 inches between nodes, a high degree of straightness and free of worm holes, scars and other blemishes. Only the very best tonkin is selected for rodbuilding, the left overs get made into tiki torches and patio furniture

The tiki torch bamboo is probaly less than 2" dia. and may have a wall thickness less than 1/8". This makes it unsuitable for rod building. While it may be possible to craft a rod from inferior quality cane, the end result won't be worth the effort and labor.

The low quality bamboo does work well as practice material. It's good for learning how to split, straighten nodes and heat treating. You can buy rod building quality cane from several suppliers in the USA, however they typically want a minimum order of 20 - 12' long culms (more cane than I would possibly be able to use in a lifetime) . I was able to purchase single culms from other rod building enthusiasts I contacted through the internet, some generous person even sent me a handful of left over strips free of charge. Do a google search for 'goldenwitch' They are a supplier of material and parts for cane rodbuilding. I think they will sell single culms.

That'd be me in the picture

Regards,
    Joe Martin
    Salem, OR

** DO NOT ** light the tiki torch before casting!
    LOL!!!!!

Might be "quicker" action if the oil resevoir is removed.

There'd be a "run" at the local W-Mart for those torches if they had the right thickness for rod building. Bummer.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Default Tiki torch

You may have something here! You could use the torch to catch a fish and then use the same torch to grill it stream side.
    AgMD

how much would not be, To much...? just outta curiosity...I may have an extra laying around also..some ready to start wrapping original production reel seats and ferrules intact and in great shape...Just do not have the time to put em together...
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread