+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Vedder

Default The Vedder

Hi guys, I hope everyone is having a wonderful summer. Anyhow recently I've been dreaming of catching a salmon (I never have), and a friend from work was telling me that I should go to the Vedder/ Chilliwack river if anyone out there has fished it and has some inside info they're willing to share I'd appreciate it.
    PS. I am planning to go the first or second week in Oct.

Thanks Brent

Here's a picture of my fishing buddy with one that he caught a couple of years ago on the Chiliwak. It wasn't caught on a fly, but it's a good example of what's in there. He had to release it, cause he was about a hundred yards away from where you could legally keep Springer salmon. There's a lotta good stuff up there.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

WOW! That fish is huge! Never been out for salmon but I am hoping to this year. Now I hate to be the only immature one here...but...is that fish relieving itself?

actually...that would be the "milt" .....the fish is so large, that out of the water, gravity is causing it to "strip" itself, but I'm sure only a little.

The Vedder can be a gong show when the salmon are running. There are lots of good access points along the river but they will be crowded. First or second week in October should be good for Coho and Chum. I fish the river mostly for steelhead Dec through March, but have gone for coho several times in the past. Use flies with a bit of flash. Vary your retrieve if what you are doing results in no strikes.

If you can find a spot on the river where gravel has been removed, the coho will hold there. I drove over the Keith Wilson bridge (over the canal section) the other day and they've taken out gravel downstream of the bridge on the east side. This will be a very popular area because of the easy access.

The best thing to do is to stop in at one of the local tackle shops and get the latest scoop. Fred's Tackle in Chilliwack, Reaction Fly and Tackle in Abbotsford and Hub Sports in Abbbotsford should all have good information once the fish start running.

Lew,
    And your friend thought that impaling his hand into the gillplate of that beautiful fish to be released was a GOOD way to display it for a photo???????

Mark

And your friend thought that impaling his hand into the gillplate of that beautiful fish to be released was a GOOD way to display it for a photo???????

I don't know what he was thinking, I wasn't there. He's been around the horn a few times, and I don't think he hurt the fish, but I agree, there are better ways to handle fish for photos. Kneeling in the water with the fish would have been better. In this instance you should disregard my signature line.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

+ Reply to Thread