Ive noticed alot of rod questions on the forums, and have chimed in when Ive had something useful or intelligent to say.

Recently Ive graduated from college. All my loans are paid off as I worked full time right through school and Im suddenly finding myself with "disposable income".

Ive always heard rave reviews about Sage rods though Ive never had the opportunity to cast one myself. Since Ive had money freed up Ive been experimenting with some different rod companies such as Scott and TFO and getting away from Orvis. The only flyshop within 40 miles carries mostly Orvis and thats what I grew up casting. Ive known the owner half my life and Ive mostly bought what he has had on stock because I could cast them in the pond outside before making the purchase.

Anyways Ive been perusing catalogs and have been seriously looking at the new lines of Sage and was contemplating purchasing one to have experience with another manufacturer who I may be impressed with.

My question is. Does anyone else have a problem with fishing a $600+ rod? I understand most companies have good warranties but does the quality of the product really justify me taking that rod on stream as opposed to a competitors mid ranged product that performs just as well? Especially if youre someone who fishes hard from dawn to dusk.

Now I know other companies all have their higher priced lines, but for all Ive seen of Sage its all high end if you want to experience anything close to the quality they are know for.

Dont get me wrong this isnt a complaint about the price Id willingly pay it if there is that much a difference in quality. Im just wondering if the rod really is that good to justify the prices. Ive found lately that Ive become really obsessive over my casting and what rod I use, whereas I used to be a strictly utilitarian guy when it came to what I threw line with. If it got the job done that was good enough.