+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: what weight

I agree a 7 foot full flex 4 weight is a rush, but still a backbone. I have more fun with the 4's than I did with my Scott Eclipse 3wt.
    The difference in rod material/ action in sizing your tackle for smaller fish is far more important than line wt. I once had a Scottt glass 3wt, medium fast, and probably equilivant in power to the average grafhite 2 wt. I have a glass 4/5 wt, very full flex, that is more fun on smaller fish than the Scott. Maybe it is something you have to experience for yourself.

Default 3 wts. are great

I have a 9'-8wt., a 8'6"-5wt. and a 7'-3wt. The 8wt is a mid-flex, the 5wt. a tip-flex (Fast) and the 3-wt is a full-flex (slowest of the three). The 3-wt is the most fun to fish with, because even a small fish is a battle. I use up to 2X with the 3-wt and it works fine. Last weekend I landed a 2-1/2 lb Smallie with it - WOW, talk about fun!! I've only been flycasting for 4 years and last week I was tossing that baby over 50' to get to an overhang of trees. The two things that I would change in my next 3-wt is to go longer, 7'6" to 8', and go with a fast action rod. The action is really a personal preference. Go with a 3 because you won't feel that much difference with a 4 from your 5.
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

Default 3 wts. are great

I have a 9'-8wt., a 8'6"-5wt. and a 7'-3wt. The 8wt is a mid-flex, the 5wt. a tip-flex (Fast) and the 3-wt is a full-flex (slowest of the three). The 3-wt is the most fun to fish with, because even a small fish is a battle. I use up to 2X with the 3-wt and it works fine. Last weekend I landed a 2-1/2 lb Smallie with it - WOW, talk about fun!! I've only been flycasting for 4 years and last week I was tossing that baby over 50' to get to an overhang of trees. The two things that I would change in my next 3-wt is to go longer, 7'6" to 8', and go with a fast action rod. The action is really a personal preference. Go with a 3 because you won't feel that much difference with a 4 from your 5.
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

Default Re: 3 wts. are great

Go with a 3 because you won't feel that much difference with a 4 from your 5.[/quote]

Just my opinion, but I so disagree with this. As you mentioned the different flexes. You could fish a tip flex 3 and a full flex 3 and there is a big difference.
    I am not saying 3 is a bad thing, your choice. I have ONE and 5 different 4's. The nice thing about a 4 is you can revive the fish easier in most cases, but still have the fun of a 3.
    I don't feel that a 4 is that close to a 5, as a 3 is that close to a 4, it is all in the flex, weight, length, etc.
    I just feel if you can only get one light weight for brookies, or other small species, a 4 is more versitile, cause it can take on the bigger fish with a lot of fun, but the fight comes down to the butt, doesn't it and in that case a 1 would work. Bigger flies------4

I agree with FG - between my 4 and 5 wt is a world of difference. Heck, maybe even a solar system. They're certainly different actions, but the 4 is much better suited to small trout and panfishies. The 5 is more of a western trout rod and sees occasional bass duty (plus spring and fall trout here in the mid-atlantic for the fat boys). I fish the 2-wt exclusively for super small trout streams and small ponds for little panfishies. I'd go with a fast- or medium-fast 3-wt.

Marty

+ Reply to Thread