+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gunpowder River, MD

I'm sure there are plenty of "anglers" up there trying to pluck fish out of every dang hole. Even during that drought in 02 with the minimum release there were people fishing up there. Don't get me started on those clowns.

Mike, incidentally I came across a bunch of streams that you and I had discussed by PM. With and luck I'll get out of work a little early tomorrow and try my hand at tackling the natives if flows and temps cooperate (which is probably asking for a minor miracle).

Marty

Sounds cool. What's tomorrow? Saturday? I have some time in the AM if ya want to fish.

Default Back to fly fishing!

Just wanted to thank you guys who have been reporting on the Gunpowder. I haven't fly fished in many years, but after reading the reports on this site I went out and bought a rod, visited the Backwater Angler for some flies, and tried my hand at fly fishing for the first time today.

Didn't fare too well (mainly because my casting is quite a bit rusty), but I had a great time on the river and saw many fish rising and swimming. If you guys have any tips for me, I would gladly take them, and if anyone is looking for someone to fish with, I would be glad to join them. I'm just coming back to this and the only thing I really know is that I have a lot to learn.

Thanks again for all the tips and keep catching and releasing those trout!

Zdank, Hope you see this - first of all as OhioTuber and many others would state, Welcome! I have been trying to notebook Maryland FAOL members. That way if I know that I will be in a particular area to fish, I can drop a note ahead of time. Would be honored to wet a line in your company. Many FAOL folk up around your area. My excursions are long distance (St.Mary's county) Maybe some day we can do a mini-Maryland fish-in. Just a thought. Glad to hear you are out throwing a fly rod again. Keep us in your thoughts.
    Mike K.
    Eternal decisions can only be made on this side of eternity.

zdank-

seconding what Mike said, and please feel free to drop me a line as I usually fish the GP a few times a week (though I haven't been up there since I went with Mike - er empeekay - several weeks ago. If you're available this weekend, just send me a private msg.

I've been slaking my thirst for brookies lately, but have been tying flies for my next Gunpowder outing.

Take care and best of luck,

Marty

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the support guys! I hope to head out one day this week if for no other reason to get my casting and mending a bit better. Saturday I hope to be there for most of the day and maybe even catch a darned fish!

A few questions....

1> Buying waders sometime this week- any suggestions? I will be using them through the winter and I want them to be affordable (Dick's is having a sale on their Hodgeman waders) Neoprene, Breathable, or old school? Chest, waist, or shorties? I will wet wade in the summer.

2> Flies? I only have a few... a few caddis drys, bwo, and a few assorted nymphs with two olive woolie buggers... Anything I might want to add soon? I was thinking terrestrials.

3> How are you guys using your nymphs? Split shot, sinking agent, bead heads?

Thanks again!

zdank-

I'm happy to meet you up there Sat AM. I have a football game at 3, so I should leave by 1 PM or so...

Anywho-

Waders: I prefer breathables. I have Simms lightweights, no problems and easily 100 trips in them. Taken a few spills here and there, but no rips or holes or other leaks yet. I have used them in deep-freeze conditions (just layer appropriately underneath) and prefer them over neoprenes for their obvious lighter weight, ease of movement, and ease of stepping into/out of. For local fishing, you shouldn't need to worry about super cold weather - I've used them in western NY steelhead fishing in February - specifically this past Pres. Day weekend, when daytime highs were between zero and 5 deg F. I think Bass Pro (white river fly shop in the store at arundel mills) has the Simms breathables on deep clearnace, maybe 80 or 100 bucks. They have an excellent warranty, though Hodgmans are good as well.

Flies: I always have a large assortment of terrestrials, like hoppers, ants, and foam beetles. They're easy to tie, and a lot of fun to fish. I like to have a dozen green weeenies, with and without a bead head, san juan worms in various colors, and caddis pupa nymphs. I tie a lot of pheasant tail (PT) nymphs in sizes 16-20, as well as gold-ribbed hare's ear (GRHE) nymphs in 14-20. Generic patterns like those imitate much of the subaquatic stuff that Gunpowder trout like to eat.
    As for traditional dries, caddis and BWOs are good to have on hand, especially the emergers. I like to carry stimulators, sulphurs, and even a few parachute adams to try them out when the fish are looking up but aren't interested in the usual offering of caddis.

I have had excellent results with woolly buggers in VERY specific places, but not much luck elsewhere. Sculpins will take some very big trout but the occasions for me have been rare (though highly rewarding!).

Best of luck trying to make sense of what I just wrote...

Marty

Oops, forgot to mention - for nymphing I will occasionally add a small shot or two for deeper holes, but otherwise I tie them with beadheads or lead underbody.

Marty

Thanks for the tips. Just got back from some after work fishing right below falls rd and didn't catch a darned thing. The good news is my casting is slowly improving and I did have three fish rise to my fly, I just had a problem fooking them! I was encouraged by the fact that my presentation is good enough to at least garner a few looks from fish. The water is a good bit higher than it has been and still pretty clear. Saturday sounds good to me, I'll send you a PM now.

+ Reply to Thread