+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunpowder River, MD

Default Gunpowder River, MD

Nothing long or lengthy...had the priveledge to meet another FAOL "family" member on Fri. (18th) "MrFishingToughGuy" and spend the afternoon/evening trying various parts of the Gunpowder. Though we all caught fish, they were VERY illusive. Low flows around 80cfs were not in our favor. MFTG commented that the water was on the cold side - he was wet wading. A note to DryFlyGuy, Matt did catch his brown on a yellow salley that we picked up while up in PA at the fish-in. I couldn't buy a hit on a dry, mine were on "trash flies". Glad I got a pocket full of green weenies . Anywho, had a good time-weather was decent-fish were typical Gunpowder wary-and the "family" grows. Thanx again to you all!
    Mike K.
    Eternal decisions can only be made on this side of eternity.

Mike,

I am so fortunate to have had the pleasure of spending the day with you and Matt. I only wish the catching had been more productive! Hopefully the City of B'more will increase the flow and draw from the middle gates sooner than later...

I am working on exploring new territory these days, so with some luck maybe I'll find a secret trout hideout that we can dabble in next time.

Marty

K, scratch it. Gunpowder is at lowest flow for the past 4 years @ 30 cfs. Water is still cold, but the fish are really spooky and I would advise staying off the C&R section. Good time to focus on the bait water below Little Falls, or Little Falls proper if you can avoid the copperheads.

Thank you City of B'more for giving those fish a break.

Marty

hhmmm why did they shut it down?

-----
    Roger
    Princess Anne, Md

My guess is the drought. Let's face it, we haven't had any substantial rain since the late June deluge! Hopefully we get the forecast rain tonight...

Marty

well im not coming up until it raises a bit
    -----
    Roger
    Princess Anne, Md

I've been refocusing my efforts as well. All I can say is that low flows mean great fishing at a few points along the river, WAY fewer people, and the opportunity to try out new streams. There has been NO boat traffic up there. Then again, the river's bones are really showing. But the TU/City of Balto agreement requires a minimum flow, so the fish will be fine. There's still plenty of water in the Prettyboy, so no worries - yet.

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by mdram
    well im not coming up until it raises a bit
    You dont like easy pickens for stacked up fish?

gotta give the fish a fair shot
    -----
    Roger
    Princess Anne, Md

Good call.

+ Reply to Thread