+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Add on Deflector

Default Add on Deflector

I just got a new kayak and there is one small problem. My old 'yak had a high bow and cut through the water. My newer one does not have that high bow and it tends to go under the water making for a wetter ride. I was thinking that I could add a 2" high deflector in front of the cockpit to help put water out of the way so it doesn't roll into the cockpit. Has anyone seens such an add on or do I have to figure out how to make something like this myself.

It would be an L shaped piece of plastic that I could bend or make a V out of and it would stick up perpendicular to the hull so water would hit it and roll off both sides.

jed

Dear Jed,

I had an idea that may help. Look at weatherstripping, especially the stuff you use on your garage door. The rubber stuff is soft and would easily adhere to the contours of the boat's hull. You could probably figure out a way to attach it with double-sided tape.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

Jed,

Have you given any thought to a spray skirt? I've been considering getting one for my Perception America 11 footer because the waves splash over the bow a little when paddling into the wind. Not sure I'm ready to dish out $79.00 for one at the local Sporting Goods. I may end up making my own using a vinyl tarp and bungee cords.

I figured a oval skirt with a bungee sewn into the edge to snugly fit the opening, then a smaller hole to fit my waist/chest area with an adjustable cord. One critical item for the outside edge is a "ripcord" which is easy to find if you flip over - so you can get out of the yak and resurface.

Given that I might make it myself, I'll add a few pockets to the top for stowing tackle and flyboxes. And velcro flaps to close them.

Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

I just thought of the plastic flowerbed edging for what you want to do. It's black and about 4" high with a tubular edge along the top. You could bend it into the "vee" shape you need and attach with a few small rivets or screws.

You would also be able to drill a few drain holes along the bottom so the water doesn't settle where it's attached to the hull.
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

Personally, I think I'd take it back to where you bought it and explain to them that you were hoping for a kayak .... not a submarine.
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

Mo,
    Thanks for the ideas. I have a 1/2 skirt that helps but on those hot days I prefer not to use it. The garden edging sounds like an idea as does the garage door rubber.

Fl,
    I thought of that but everything else about the boat is great. Weight, seat etc. I tried for about 1/2 year to find something different but this is the best boat out for me... with this one exception.

jed

+ Reply to Thread