+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing a reel seat...

Default Removing a reel seat...

Well, I picked out the first 'boo rod from my 15 that I'm going to refurbish, and I was just wondering how I should attempt to take off the reelseat. It's got one of those plastic/bakelite numbers on it that I'm going to be replacing with a NS/wood insert one. I was going to just heat it up with an alchohol lamp, but then I thought, you know, burning plastic may not be the best thing for me to be breathing in . Should I just take my dremel and cut away the reelseat (cut it down the middle and peel off the two halves), or is there some other method I could use?

Regards,
    Joe Martin

I have used the Dremel down the middle on a couple rods I had no intention of ever using the reel seat again from. Fairly easy to do, just don't go too deep. Another way I have heard of, but never (yet) used is to put the handle end into a boiling bag type baggie, and set it into VERY hot water for a bit. Heat is supposed to loosen the epoxy, and it'll just pop off.
    PS .. use a face mask if you use the Dremel to cut through the bakelite, and you may need to make multiple cuts to get the reel seat off, depending on how much epoxy was used. Don't plan on just one up one down and pry the two parts apart, cuz it'll for sure break the rod.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Thanks Betty, the boiling water thing worked like a charm! I got so excited about this that I ended up stripping it down (with Clydes help) and reaming out a grip+reelseat I had lying around as well. Now all I've got to do is re-set the ferrules (may do that tonight even), glue on the grip+reelseat, and varnish it, and it will be ready to fish!

Regards,
    Joe Martin
    Salem, OR

Horray!!
    That'll be one classy rod when it's completed! Need pictures! (You are documenting all this with pictures, aren't you?!?)
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Hey Joe,

I was so tickled to see the Great Boo Buy come off. I can only imagine
    you feel like a kid at Christmas.*G* I just purchased an old Granger
    Champion that had been damaged and it made a great banty conversion.
    I'm pleased as punch. It is an absolute joy to cast.*G* Warm regards,
    Jim

PhotoJoe,
    Hey with all the parts coming off yours and the other buyers of the "LOT", can you pass it around to the buyers to offer those parts on the For Sale link? We rebuilders are always looking for some vintage parts.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

I'll certainly pass that along. Unfortunately the reelseat I took off this rod was in pretty poor shape (that's why I replaced it), or I'd send it off to ya. If you're interested in "parts" rods, I think there are a couple that I have here that I didn't include in the lot of rods because they were in such poor condition. What in particular were you looking for? Also, I'll most likely be putting up 3-4 of my rods for sale in the next couple weeks (I'm waiting till after everyone else has recieved their rods), and I'm not going to be asking all that much for them- just enough to recoup my expenses. Oh, and I've also got 4-5 of those spin-fly combos if you'd be interested in them.

Regards,
    Joe Martin
    Salem, OR

I only have the blue collar rods so the reelseats, ferrules and stripping guides of those are nice to come by. Southbend, Montys, HI, Heddons are in my quiver right now. The problem with my request as you noted is that why would anyone replace a good one if it still works- ergo not many parts are floating around.

Can't wait to see what you gents will be putting up soon after sorting through your own "lot"! I'm sure the other rebuilders are chomping at the bit to see what your cast-offs are for parts. Also, please post those orphan rods up on the for sale site when you get a chance.

Specifically, I have a wonderful condition 9' HI "Spinner" fly rod butt and mid. I have been looking for a tip for 3 years. It very unlikely I'll find but I'm a hopeful person. It is dark amber color so if you see an extra dark section meeting that description around please post. A metal Monty reelseat is another item- they had a tendency to split at the reel-foot mounting area.

Thanks.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton

PhotoJoe, any of those 'parts' rods good for making a banty?

Maybe 2 bantys in the stash!!!
    Good question Swen!

+ Reply to Thread