+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bamboo Flyrod Best Birthday ever!

Default Bamboo Flyrod Best Birthday ever!

My wonderful wife just gave me the best birthday present ever. For my 50th birthday she gave me an beautiful Bamboo Flyrod. She had Wyatt Deitrich of Dreamcatcher Flyrods make me a special 7'6" 4wt flyrod that is just georgous. I took it out this morning to the Yellow Breeches and caught a few nice trout. What an awesome present from my wife.
    A couple of questions for all you bamboo fans? Any recommendations on a reel and line. For now I will probably use my 3-4wt fenwick rell that seems to balance pretty nicely but may look to get something else. Also I was thinking of getting the Cortland Slyk line but what should I get WF or DT? I usually fish a WF but am not sure what will cast best on a boo rod.
    Thanks for any help...

Bill from PA

Belated happy birthday. Bet you take that down to the Breeches to play with. Have fun.

Dear Bill,

Wow, that is a good birthday present. Welcome to the dark side!

I like Cortland 444 Classic - the peach colored stuff- on my bamboo rods. I've tried the Cortland Sylk and liked it but I haven't gotten around to actually buying it yet.

If you get a chance you might want to check out the following bulletin board. These guys are plannning to have a gathering down in your neck of the woods the weekend of September 23rd.

http://p205.ezboard.com/bclarksclassicflyrodforum

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

pafisherman:

Congrats!! I have two of Wyatt's rods and I love them!! Maybe when we hook up we can fish 'em!

First of all I tried a SYLK on my rods and HATED IT!! It squeaked through the guides, especially the agate stripper, it got sticky in the guides and it didn't float long. Other people love them. I just don't see why a SYLK line needs to be used on a bamboo rod other than old rods with small guides. I think it is just a nostalgia thing. I'd go with any quality line that looks good and casts good.

As far as DT versus WF: the subject has been beaten to death. I use DT's on all my rods, cane, glass & graphite. I just like them better for normal distances and a 7'6" 4wt will probably be cast normal distances.

Reels - I'd put a Hardy Bougle on that puppy if you want to part with the cash required or a Featherweight or LRH Lightweight. It all depends on your budget.

Have fun and Happy Birthday!

Default Reel and Line for U'r Boo

First off, congratulations. Sounds as if you have a truly loving wife.

If $300+ is out of your price range, then forget the Hardy's, Peerless, and Ballin's as reel choices, and take a look at the Orvis CFO II. The CFO has the classic look of a Hardy Golden Princess for a lot less $$$.

As Bamboozle said, the issue of DT vs WF has been beaten to death, and really comes down to a matter of personal preference. I would try and find both lines and try casting each before making a final decision.

I've been fishing the Cortland Sylk lines for two years and have not experienced any of the problems Bamboozle mentioned, although I know of other people who have reported similar problems. I have them in 3, 4, and 5 Wt's and like their suppleness and color. A lot of bamboo folks also go with the Cortland 444 Peach, and I've got a couple of those that I also like. The problem with the Peach is the color, but that can be rectified with a quick Ritz dye job; see http://www.iffa.org.uk/dyinglines.htm.

Dan S
    "I still don't know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel." Roderick Haig-Brown, A River Never Sleeps

Default New Boo

Bill:

So first, does you wife have a sister? I'd like one out of that litter too.

Here is a novel reel idea. Go with a Hardy Marquis or the same reel sold as a Scientific Angler (model 5?) or LL Bean. I decided a couple of years ago that I liked the reel and have accumulated a few of the LL Bean versions over the years. They are relatively inexpensive ($150 if it says Hardy to $75 if it says Bean) - you have to get them used. I was surprised to read later that AK Best uses them for his standard reel (the SA branded one). I think these reels look great on bamboo.

I have also had problems with the Sylk lines and am now using them to tie up my tomato plants. Great texture and color but it would stick to itself and the rod and become impossible to shoot. I am back to the 444 peach. I have read that the same line is available from Hook and Hackle for about $28 as their house brand - is is green.

Enjoy,

David

Try buying a real silk line, they are 200-300 bucks but work great with bamboo rods... other options would be the Cortland Sylk, but i strongly reccomend an Airflo Ridgeline, for a rod as good as Bamboo, you don't really want to settle for anything less than the best, and I can personally vouch for Ridgeline as some of the best line i've ever casted.

Tight Lines

RL

I use a DT Cortland Sylk on a couple of 5 wt cane rods I have.
    I realize cane is the most durable of rod materials but I just feel (perhaps wrongfully) I shouldn't lean on one for a long cast so a DT works well for me.

I picked up a couple of Pflueger Medalist 1492 1/2 (wide spool) USA made reels off ebay...looks classy on cane.

CFO or Hardy LRh. As for line, I tried DT and didn't care for it on my boo, the same with TT. They just wouldn't load up right. I use Wonderline Superfine WF or Sylk WF. The ol man even switched to the Superfine WF. Very smooth and loads up great.
    I have been using Sylk for Three years now, have never had ANY TROUBLE from sticky or what ever. Sylk is very supple even in the cold and very smooth. As far as sinking, it has a core in the middle which prevent me from putting a needle knot, so I bent the fly line over and use tying thread to secure it, plus read makes a nice indicator. A little Knot Sense and good to go.

Pafisherman,
    I'm glad you got a special rod but your Wife is even more special.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

+ Reply to Thread