+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bamboo Flyrod Best Birthday ever!

For a nice reel to match look at www.elkhornflyrods.com
    They have a classic reel that they sell to match their bamboo rods and it looks like a very nice reel. I use one of their other reels and am very satisfied with it.

jed

So let it be the gift that keeps on giving.........PICTURES!
    And how about a nice USA Ross reel?

Paf':

You'll like your Dietrich rod more every time you fish it. I've got a couple of Wyatt's rods, and am more than pleased with them. Wyatt a great guy, too, which adds to the pleasure of using the rods.

My experience with the Sylk has been mixed. A couple got sticky, fast. But, if you clean them, they work fine. They do stay limp (as advertised) in cold weather, which is an important factor to me.

Have just started using an Airflo Ridge line. Like it so far. Lichen green color is inoffensive and it casts quite well. Will be interested to see how it works when cold. Suggest you get the DT "presentation" version.

Loads of good reels out there at reasonable prices, and some good suggestions have been made. If you'd like something REALLY traditional for your bamboo rod, I've got a couple old British reels for sale, one 2 3/4" ($75) and one 3" ($60). Both usable as RHW or LHW. I fish the YB a lot, so it'd be no problem to meet you there and show them to you. If any interest, just e-mail me at driver69911@yahoo.com.

I also have some other reels (not for sale) that I use on my bamboo rods.
    Would be glad to show these to you, to give you an idea of what's out there, how they look on bamboo, and how they balance on your rod.

Good luck.

BobS

Congrats Pa..that's one fine gift your bride gave you.

I tried the Sylks and liked them at first. Really supple etc but for some reason after awhile they stuck to my rod, actually stuck right to the rod so I ditched. And they didn't shoot nearly as good as my Sa lines!

I would highly suggest the SA XPS DT4F as a line to give optimum performance.

But..it's subjective. This line I have on a couple of my 4wts though and it's wonderful! My best line, by far!

Jeremy.

Default Another Question

Another questions for you Boo Rod folks. The rod I have came with two tips which I know many rods do. Do you folks that have rods with multiple tips....alternate tips or just use one and store the other?
    Bill

Ahh, yes ... welcome to the dark side!!! And congrats on the new bamboo, too!!!
    Happy Birthday to you! What a wonderful lady you have there!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Dear Bill,

There are several reasons for two tips. The most important reason is that you can alternate between them and spread out the wear and tear. You also have a 2nd tip in the event that you break or damage the 1st one.

Some rods are made having two tips with distinctly different actions, say one with a wet fly action and one with a dry fly action. I don't know if that is the case with your rod.

You probably need to come with a method to differentiate between the tips so you can use them alternately. A simple method is to attach a twist tie to the tip top of the section you didn't use. That way you know which section to use the next time out. Some rods do have identifying markings on each section like slightly different wraps or trim, but you still have to remember which tip you used. Marking the tip with a twist tie eliminates the need for that.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Bill:

IF Wyatt did on your rod like he did on mine; there is a single wrap above the ferrule wrap on tip #1 and a double wrap in the same location on tip #2.

I ALWAYS alternate tips using a different tip each use. I have always done this and it works for me for the reasons stated by Avalon. A simple way to remember which tip you used last is to utilize the tie strings on Wyatt's rod bag. Using the top tie string; make a bow in front of the embroidered logo to tell you to use tip #1 the next time and a bow in back for tip #2. DON'T tie these strings too tightly!

It works for me!

Oh by the way, IF you don't already do so, carefully wipe down the rod after fishing with a soft cloth and MAKE SURE to take all rod sections out of the tube when you get home after fishing and store them in a safe place so they COMPLETELY dry out. I usually let them dry out overnight. NEVER EVER PUT A BAMBOO ROAD AWAY DAMP OR WET!

BTW a safe place to store it between trips is my house!

Bill,
    Along with what has been given regarding alternating tips..one thing you can do is tie a 3" piece of woolen yarn on the tip you just fished when you put it away. That way you'll know to use the other tip next time out.

OR..just fish tip #1 on odd numbered (calendar) days and tip #2 on even numbered days...so many choices.

Jeremy.

Default Remembering Which Tip to Use

In assembling the rod, use the tip from the slot next to the butt section. Then move the tip you're NOT using into that (now empty) slot next to the butt section.

After fishing, put the tip you used into the empty tip slot. Then, all you have to do is get in the habit of always using the tip next to the butt section, and moving the spare tip into the vacancy.

For me, this is a lot easier than ID'ing the section, tying knots, etc.

+ Reply to Thread