+ Reply to Thread

Thread: boo sale

Default boo sale

To those involved in the boo buy, it is wrapped up. Joe will post more, but Ive spent the last day and half helping him sort and wrap up for shipping. You will be very happy with what you get. There is a good mix. Some ready too fish, some with a little work, and some you may have too think on. Enjoy- Clyde

Now comes the truly difficult part....figuring out which rods to fish first!!! But that's a problem I'm quite happy to have.

Regards,
    Joe Martin

Here's a little "eye candy" for ya that John Montana snapped when he picked up his rods:

Regards,
    Joe Martin

Just thought I'd give this a "bump". Rods were shipped today. Can't WAIT for you guys to get them!

Regards,
    Joe Martin
    Salem, OR

what is this all about anyways?

What's it all about? Someone fell into a great deal on old split cane rods, that had seen better days, yet have many years of fishing left in them. It was a bulk purchase, that divided among members of FAOL, who were willing to take a chance, split the cost among themselves.

Now they each are receiving some very nice old split cane rods, that are good for fishing, or with some new thread wraps, or other minor repairs, will live on to fish, many years into the future.

Check the "Things For Sale" Bulletin Board, I found a really nice South Bend Model 52 split cane, that was almost in mint condition. It had some thread wrapping, but still had the old guides for silk. It probably had been in someone's closet, for the past 50 years collecting dust, on it's cardboard tube. It still had the original tube, and sleeve, and the tips were firm and straight.

All it needed was some Cortland "Sylk" fly line to sing on the water again.
    Silk fly line, and Cortland "Sylk" fly line (which duplicates the silk, without the hassle and care silk requires), have a smaller line diameter for the line weight. When the new (back then) PVC fly line replaced the Silk, many split cane rods were retired to closets.

After casting my South Bend with the Cortland "Sylk", I fully understand, why many are relearning the joy of fishing with a split cane fly rod.

Basically, 6 of us went in on a lot of 100 bamboo fly rods, and ended up with some real treasures (in my opinion). Be on the lookout on the "For Sale" board, as several of us will be selling off a couple rods in order to recoup our expenses.

Regards,
    Joe Martin
    Salem, OR

Did we ever ask where this gentleman aquired so many rods? Anyone know? I have been wondering for a while...

The guy that sold them to me aquired the lot from another collector. This guy didn't actually collect bamboo rods, he just buys/sells them to pay for his collection of lures/classic spinning tackle (that's why he was trying to sell the whole lot- to make room for hi ACTUAL collection). And actually, this guy tends to get quite a few bamboo rods, so I'll probably end up bying from him again (he just sold a Divine for around $300, and he told me he had a Gillum that he sold to a friend for about the same )

Regards,
    Joe MArtin

+ Reply to Thread