+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Furled leaders

Default Furled leaders

Does anyone have any experience using furled leaders? I saw some for sale online and they were described as having a small ring to connect the tippet to. I've used braided leaders before are they anything alike?

Jason

Yes, I use them and like them. Others do not like them. Read [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/readerscast/rc185.html:3b7bc]this[/url:3b7bc], get one and try it for yourself. Let us know what you think of them. Welcome to the board BTW.
    mcsteff

I used them this year for the first time and really like them. I have switched to using them on all my rods. The ones I use were made using the method taught in Cathy's DVD.

Jim Smith

Default furled leaders

I like them alot and have been using them all this year. I've yet to have one "fail" on me. Caught alot of smallies and Pike earlier this summer in Canada and fished the furled leader the entire time.

I sent you a pm with more information.

Just to add some variety to this thread. I have tried them a few times and don't like them. Don't like the way they lay out a fly. To those who like them, great!

jed

Default Re: Furled leaders

Quote Originally Posted by JMoody
    Does anyone have any experience using furled leaders? I saw some for sale online and they were described as having a small ring to connect the tippet to. I've used braided leaders before are they anything alike?

Jason
    First off, there is a difference between furled and braided. In fact they are nothing alike, one is braided the other furled (like old rope)
    I have used both, I make my own furled and use them religiously, braided however, I don't care for, causes sray when lifted off the water and I personally don't like the way the drift on the water. As far as I know, Orvis is the only one that sells Braided, but I could be wrong on that.
    Also, when I make my own furled, I use a shorb loop on the end, haven't used the ring basically cause to make them all I need is 0.6 UNI thread and that is it, I don't want to be buying a bunch of rings, the idea was they are cheap to make, specially if you tie, you already have the thread.

Just my $0.02 worth.

I've been pretty impressed with my furled leader. Seems to lay out the fly just perfect for my casting style. The only 2 downsides I can see are: you need to re-dress it to prevent it from sinking (usually after every fishing trip, though I've forgotten a couple of times and it worked just fine), and you can't just break it off if it gets snagged in a tree (well, you CAN, but it wil come unfurled and become useless). The upsides are: it casts beautifully (for me, anyways), it's cheap/easy to make, and it's pretty dern strong. I also like the fact that you can vary the color of it depending on what color thread you choose, so you can match it to the type of water your fishing.

Regards,
    Joe Martin
    salem, OR

I like them. I use a furled leader as short as three feet and add tippet as needed. They turn over really well and last and last.

Normand Guest

I tried a furled leader this season and cant see what all the hype is about. It never turned over the tippet section the way a tapered leader does. Used it once and only once. Just not for me, I guess.

+ Reply to Thread