My advice is to hire a guide. Let the guide know what you expect. I would suggest to really pick his brain and ask alot of questions. I would set your expectations a little lower, I've had some great days when I caught many steelies but thats not the norm (for me anyway). I know there are rivers that have high numbers of steelhead and your chance of hooking alot of fish in a day is very good, Lake Erie tribs in western Pa for example, so you may want to look into a trip there.
I disagree that fishing for west coast steelhead is much different from great lakes. I've caught many steelhead using west coast techniques.
Grsdlnr although I prefer swinging streamers and speys (wich I do about 90% of the time)more than drifting egg and nymph patterns I've never felt like it was more "proper". I think swinging streamers is actually easier than fishing nymphs. Just because you hook less fish doesn't mean it's harder it's just less effective. That style of fishing targets very aggresive fish and anyone who is lucky enough to swing a fly in front of it will probably hook it and has a greater chance of landing it because of heavier leaders and generally a more solid hookset as they usually slam them and hook themselves. You can have you soapbox back now.
Turk