+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reels

I have a Loomis venture reel that has worked well for me and I fished this week with Glen and Aaron Weaver who have been fishing theirs for six years now (and they do a lot of fishing) without problems. I think they are one of the better reel values available.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Later Peter,

I'm interested in your velocity if it's the new style with the open back. E-mail me if it is. Thanks

A budget of $150 to $200 is realistic, and it gives you some fine options.

The Galvan 3.0 Standard is a very nicely made reel for $190 currently. It is machined from barstock and possesses a smooth drag and affordable extra spools. Nice drag knob, attractive design, and comfortable handle. Oh, made in USA and lifetime warranty, too.

In that range, the Orvis BBS or Mid-Arbor will also give you terrific value and performance from an established company. The BBS gets alot of attention, and you could get a reel and an extra spool within your budget. The Mid-Arbor gets less attention, and though I've only handled one, I was impressed for the price. Both are nice reels. You'll probably get lots of recs for the BBS, and it is a fine value.

I am not aware of an Abel offering in this price range, unless you find a discontinued TR. Very fine reel.

I don't want to offend anyone, but I think you could definitely do better than a Loomis Venture for your budget.

There are occasional great deals on "gently-used" reels on this site's "For Sale" forum and others. Always good to check.

If Later Peter doesn't have what you are looking for, I have some new Lamson Velocity reels for sale in the classifieds section. They are usually just out of the $200 range, but I have them listed for $160 (the v1.5) and $170 (the v2). They are great reels - I'll doubt you'll find anyone who would disagree. Take care,

Eric

Hi,

I use a BFR Dragonfly 355 for my 5 weight and a larger version for my 8/9 weight. I liked them so much, I got my wife a 355 for her 5 weight as well. I just looked them up and the first web site with a price put them at about 35.00 UK pounds, which would be in your price range. The cartridge can be removed, so you can change between floating and sinking lines easy enough (just pop out the spool with one line and put in the other spool). Spools can be bought separately as well, if you want a variety of lines. Much less weight to carry around than a collection of reels!

Also, one of the local magazines here rated them as the best "value for money" reel. I highly recommend them.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

One other general thing to keep in mind: for the $150-$200 range you really should make sure to get something that is machined from high grade aluminum. Cast aluminum or composite bodies makes for much cheaper reels (both in cost and in quality) and they can last a long time, but sooner or later they will break and/or corrode. There are enough good reels in that price range that you shouldn't have to settle for an inferior material.

Eric

I have a GLoomis Adventure 5, and the Orvis Batenkill Mid-Arbor. I like the Orvis a little better, and it is probably worth the extra $30. The build quality is definitely better than the Loomis. I agree with oldfrat that you will probably pick according to what you like in the appearance of the reel. The performance of most reels in your price range are probably close to one another. Go with the one that appeals to you!

I've got the Galvan Standard 3.0 on my 5 weight. It's right around your price range and I absolutely love it. It's quite light and beautifully machined. The drag is the smoothest I've ever used and I've used quite a few reels. And it's made right here in the U.S.A. too! Mine is Green, but they come in other colors too if green isn't your thing.

-Darryl
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

+ Reply to Thread