+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reels

Default Reels

What is the best five weight reel between or under $150 and $200??? I am looking at a G Loomis Venture reel or something similar... any other options???

Thanks

Dear RL,

You have literally dozens of choices in that price range. I like the Ross Cimarron, but I've heard good things about the Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock and Mid-Arbor reels too. There are many more to choose from. You can often find very clean used reels at good prices on E-bay as well.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

As Avalon stated, there are probably a dozen or so excellent reels in that price range and each will have someone that thinks that their favorite is the best. I have three Galvan reels and really like them, especially in that size range. I suggest that you look at as many as you can and then select the one that YOU like the best.

Jim Smith.

I have the Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock and like it a lot, but have no basis for comparing it with others in that price range. I won't be surprised if you end up choosing between the reels that are recommended to you more on appearance than performance.

Or you could get a Pfleuger(sp?) Medalist. New or old, they should only run you $20 or so. Hell, at that price, you could get 7 of them and still be under budget!

Regards,
    Joe Martin
    Salem, OR

Abel
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

I have a BBS2 and my son has a barstock 1 and a 2 and we have not had any regrets at all.Ours are English made and I do not know anything about the Chinese reels although they are supposed to be the exact same.Orvis does have a good reputation for standing behind thier products.

In that price range you have many options. First though you need to decide if you want a Large Arbor, Mid Arbor or standard reel. For all around use and a great high quality reel for $120-$130 bucks the Battenkill Mid Arbor will be very hard to beat and it has a Warranty agains just about anything. Very strong, nice and high quality. You could spend more but i don't think your getting any more reel untill you start looking in the $250+ range. I personally love the battenkill Large Arbor reel but that's my pref! I also have a Battenkill Bar Stock and it's great too. There are many good reels for that price though. Redington, Ross, Sith, Orvis, Cortland and so forth. I have owned a bunch of reeks and swear by the Battenkills... Lots of Bang for the Buck I say!

Kind of like asking "whats the best car under $25k?" There are lots of very good choices and few bad ones.

I have a Ross Cimarron for 10 years and second one for 8 they function as well today has when new. I have three Orvis Battenkills for about a dozen years that they too still function great. The Battenkill Barstock has the same drag in a machined frame for about $20 more. The Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor and the Ross CLA and Flywater are also great reels. Same for Teton, Teton Tioga, Redington CD, Pflueger Trion, Redington SV, Cortland Endurance, Scientific Anglers System 2L. An that Loomis Venture is pretty nice too. I'm partial to Ross, Orvis, and Teton myself due my personal experience reels from those companies.

would you be interested in a Ross Gunnison 1
    or a Lamson Velocity 1.5?
    I have extra spools available for either or both as well.
    the Lamson's excellent
    the Ross has scratches.
    Later,
    Peter

+ Reply to Thread