+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preventing future leaks on riveted boat

Default Preventing future leaks on riveted boat

I recently bought a 16 ft aluminum flatbottom boat that was pretty much what I've been looking for except that I would have preferred an all-weld and its riveted. Looks like a fun project to fix up and rig up the way I want with my kids. The boat was primered when I bought it. It doesn't have any leakes, but I'd like to coat the rivets before I paint them for peace of mind. I'd just like to put something on it so that when I paint it, I will be done having to worry about it and I'm wanting to put flat paint on it (roll on) and then I can always touch it up with some flat camo can paint.... , I don't want to have such a nice paint job on it that I don't want to scratch it..

Gluvit sounds like what I've been looking for but I can't find anyplace that carries it locally. Is there anything that I can pick up at the local hardware store that is tough, but not to rigid that has some give that I can paint over?

Here are some things I've wondered about?

3m 5200- Sounds real good, but is it paintable and will it peel?
    JB Weld - Sounds good, and they carry a marine grade, but does it have any give?
    Gorrilla Glue - Someone told me this would work good, but I'm not sure?

Jec,

Here is what I would do if I was in your "shoes". I would take the boat to the nearest business that does "spray on" truck bed liners and have them spray the INSIDE of the boat. This would give you a seal from the inside. The spray on bed liner stuff can be applied up to 1/4" thick and it comes in different colors. I would not spray the outside since that would create "drag" on the water. You could even have the inside sidewalls covered. I think this would also cut down on some of the noise since it would insulate the metal.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Not sure if this would meet your requirement: Plumbers GOOP?

Allan

I agree. a thin coat of spray on bed liner is good for keeping noise down and very waterproof and quite reasonable in price.

Hi Jec,

Here is my take on your post. You have a riveted
    aluminum boat that "Does not leak". However, you don't want it to
    pick up this undesirable trait.*G*

I have had several aluminum craft without a problem of leaks. I have
    seen other craft, often abused, which did experience problems with
    leaking.

Yes, you can line this boat quite successfully avoiding future leaks by
    using Rhino Liner or a similar substance. It does add significant
    weight to the boat and it is fairly expensive. But it DOES work.*G*

My thoughts would be to just enjoy the boat. If you do not abuse it,
    you may never experience leaks. If you do get a leak, handle it on a
    case by case basis. Not too hard to do.

As to the paints, generally, the flat finish paints seem more succeptable
    to problems whereas a hard gloss finish better seals the aluminum from
    problems. Whatever you use, keeping it clean, dry, and out of direct
    sunlight between uses will add considerably to the longevity of your finish. Good luck,
    and enjoy your craft. Warm regards, Jim

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Hi,
    I have an aging aluminum flat bottom ( Jon. boat ) that uses both rivets and welds and it's nearly pristine in appearance and water tight. My advice, If she's water tight, why mess with her?

Putting Gluvit on the hull, won't prevent you from blowing out rivets.
    Gluvit, or no Gluvit, if at some point you pop a rivet, there's going to be a hole in your boat.
    If and when that happens, you'll take the appropriate steps to deal that specific and likely isolated problem.
    Why add weight, cost and more work to an otherwise sound boat? Down the road, the boat will provide you with plenty of things to work on and spend money on.

Best, Dave

Default Leaking Aluminum boat

I would suggest not worrying too much about the leaking. I have a rivited aluminum boat from the mid 70's that has not had much care. I use a 15 hp motor that I take on and off to keep out of the weather. The only care the boat gets is I take the drain plug out after every use and a few times a year wash it out.

Yes, it leaks. In a day it will leak maybe two or three gallons. Not enough to get above the floor boards or give any problems. When I load it I just pull the drain plug.

I expect it to probably be still going when I over seeing a worm farm.

I would just use it and forget it.

Charles

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I will just paint her up!

COME ON TRUCK BED LINNER IN A BOAT---you have to be kidding. I have owned a rivited boat since 1955, Alumacraft ,dropped it, pulled over gravel and stored it out side up side down for years in the snow. Never had a leak and if I did I'd put a little GOOP around the spot. Aircraft are primed with Zinc Chromate , first but for fishing boat I would first just give it a steel wool and soap cleaning (kichen pads). A olive drab paint looks nice on a fishing boat.

I have a rivited skiff that was made in 1953. It sits outside, gets abused. I rebuilt the transom because the old wood plates rotted off of it. NO LEAKS. Mine is a montgomery ward "Sea King", painted camo entirely with spray paint. Carpet glued to the inside with carpet glue, then carpet painted camo. Pretty ghetto, but it works like the boat that it is. If you make your boat the proverbial hole in the water that you pour money into, that's what it'll be. I second that you should rough up the surface with some steel wool before applying any kind of paint.

+ Reply to Thread