+ Reply to Thread

Thread: rod holders

Default rod holders

I just bought an old aluminum canoe and I'm looking for decent rod holders so that rods don't get scratched while paddeling. I'm not looking to break the bank and most of the rod holders out there are made to be permanently attached to a boat (which I"m not looking to do). Is this an item I can grab at Wallys?

Suggestions from like-minded cheap SOBs appreciated.

Scotty is a good brand. Cabelas carries them as do other retailers. Don't know about WalMart. They have a variety of rod holders (fly, spin, casting) which can match with a variety mounts. They have a gunwale mount that clamps to the side wall of you canoe.

Default Rod Holder

iso,
    This is the one I use. The two things I like about it the most is all you have to do to release the rod is to lift it straight up. The other thing is that nothing call fall off of it. When you clamp it to gunwale, everything stays put. Also, you can adjust the angle that your rod faces the water. I guess you could say that the Pitch and Yaw is adjustable. The only thing I don't like is that the rod gripping part is too big for most fly rods. So, you will need to line it with leather or foam. Leather will last longer. Here's the link. It's at Cabela's.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... 4887&Nty=1
    Sorry for the lengthy link. Cabela's fault, not mine.
    God Bless,
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

The Scotty holders already mentioned are nice. The Scotty holders are not a single hold but a system that has different types of mounts that clamp to rails, gunwales, float tubes and so on that can be matched with different adjustable heads that can hold different types of rods. One of the heads is specifically designed for fly rods.

+ Reply to Thread