+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Am i ruing the experience..

Default Am i ruing the experience..

There is a huge minnow population here in this creek I fish and i like using some flies that look like minnows..i cast them out and slowly retrieve with my hands...is this an ok technique or am i ruining the idea of fly fishing?

did ya loose ur flyrod???

d

dude....you're overthinking it

If you're using a fly rod/reel then I would say you are fly fishing. Muddler Minnows and streamers are all pretty well meant for this.

Blog Entries

DeaDrift

Its entirely possible that someone has polluted your mind with ideas that dry fly-upstream-drift is the only way to fly fish.

If you are having a good time and not violating any game laws then it sounds pretty good to me.

That is exactly the right technique for a fly retrieval. You bring the line in through the guides and let it pile up at your feet (or wherever). The reel is only used when you have a fish on and want to bring it in or at the end of the day to kep your line in order. When you re-case you pull line off the pile.

jed

I'm not sure if you are pulling our leg or you are serious. Just in case you are serious that is how you fish streamers. The flies that you are using to imitate a minnow are called streamers.

DeaDrift,

Check your local library for flyfishing videos. Some of them will show you some other techniques you may be able to use. The rule I follow when it comes to flyfishing is this...

It's my rod and I'll use it any way I like.

Enjoy...
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

Default Well it works no matter if its right or not

I went fishing today on a creek by my house..Small creek that goes from sand to rock in seconds..goes from an inch of water to 5 foot pools real quick..Well im walking this creek.(amazingly clean and clear) and I come across this pool about 4 feet deep...well I decide this is where i will cast first..im using a 4 and a half foot leader with a minnow streamer(white and purple with tinsle) and half way up a bumble bee..well im casting about 25-30 feet to the end of this pool and jerking and retrieving..well I get a nice hit..pull in a 5 inch rock bass (on bee) ..well I relese him and throw in again..but to the left of this pool...get another hit, pull him in and I get him out of the water (on the bee)..Well once hes out of the water and I get the other two feet of the leader out and I see another fish break the surface..I had two of them at the same time..If someone can tell me how to get a video from a camcorder (tape) to the computer..ill share it..id love to..

Doubles are a bunch of fun, aren't they!? As to the idea of "ruining the flyfishing experience" I agree with the rest of these fine folks. It's your flyfishing experience, If you are enjoying it, having fun, and not breaking any laws, then there's no problem. Have fun, keep hauling them in two at a time, and let those pesky purists worry about the definition of flyfishing.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

+ Reply to Thread