+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fess up

Default fess up

how about fessing up, I did in the "Green Zone"

with all of that flyline laying around, and an eight foot long rod , and a boat , and anchor lines, and rope cleats, and fish on the line....

What is your best ( or worst) tangle story???

Hey Druid Dude,

Yeah, been there, done that, got the T-shirt!*G* Lets see ya top this
    one. Embarrassing to say the least, but fess up I did.*G* Including the
    face plant.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feature ... 02405.html

Warm regards, Jim

I bow before the master!!!

lets have 'em guys...... more >>>more.....more

zzdruid,
    I worst tangle story is more a heartbreak as opposed to taking time to untangle lots of line. I was fishing my lake on the "flats" for gill and bass when a noticed a tailing carp about 100 feet away. The tail looked the size of my hand so I knew it was a big one. I've always wanted to land a carp on my fly rod so I carefully motored close ehough to the carp to get a good cast. Carp are constantly speared on my lake, so they are very wary and I get very few opportunities to site fish carp. I grabed my 6wt with a grub imitation and after a few casts I managed to hook it. The carp took off like a freight train. Unfortuately, the line had tangled around my foot and my 3X tippet snapped like a thread. I wish I would have had a chance to land the fish, but the one little tangle prevented my catch of the summer.
    caribe

A tangle?? Me?? Nah! Never!! heh-heh-heh.

don

My most memorable tangle came when I was about 16. I was with my Paw Paw and my dad fishing in Blue Mtn. Lake in Arkansas. Bass were schooling and attacking almost anything we tossed at them. We were all using baitcasters, and this was in the days of braided lines. I was using a Lucky 13. I reared back to heave that monster plug at a school that was blasting some shad on the surface, and proceeded to snap my line and sail the Lucky 13 out of sight into the woods. I worked for 3 hours or more trying to untangle that particular backlash. My dad and Paw Paw sympathized with me, but didn't slow down their fish catching. Does anyone know what it's like to sit in the boat unable to fish while bass up to 2-3 pounds are being snatched uip on almost every cast. Paw Paw even caught one that prolly topped the 5 pound mark.
    Was indeed one of my saddest days of NOT fishing while on the lake with a fishing pole in my hands. I eventually had to cut the line off. I would have cut it off sooner, but of course no one had any extra line I could use to re-spool. It really hurts to miss out on a hundred fish day!!!

Caribe, I had a similar experience, but I caught the tangle in time... I hooked a nice carp on a Lake Michigan flat, and the thing started peeling line... I looked down in time to notice the line wrapped around the butt of my fly rod, and freed it up just as the last bit of slack was getting pulled off.

jsalkas,
    Sounds like your tangle had a happy ending. Did you eventually land the fish? I seen some of the carp in Lake Michigan when I fished for salmon off the breakwalls. They are monsters.
    caribe

I won't even get into backlash on level wind baitcasting reels or bird nest on spinning reels. Both are like flying a helicopter, too many moving parts sooner or later somethings going to mess up.

Float tubing down the Hooch a couple of year back my slack line hung on a snag in fast water. I could not get back to the snag, eventually had to let go let the line pull through the guides down to the backing where I cut it and retied. It added drama to the day since being the world's second worst trout fly fisher I wasn't catching any fish that day.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

zzdruid;
    Last week on a float trip down the Au Sable I failed to anounce that I was making a cast (Center seat) and ohiotuber nailed my backcast. We were so badly tangled togather that Capt. Tony had to ground the boat and wade froward to work out the knots!!

+ Reply to Thread