I'm new to this forum, but not to fly tying or shows. My answers mirror Allan's, yet with what I consider an interesting twist. I tie at small shows (500-800 attendees, one-day shows) in Ohio & Michigan, and a couple of years ago at the December GLC show in Lansing. MI I was simply tying to fill my depleted fly boxes (I'm not a fancy tyer). I was tying Prince Nymphs when an attendee sat in front of me and asked he could watch me tie a prince from start to finish. He had come to the show to learn how to tie some "basic" patterns that work for a variety of freshwater species, and most tyers were tying flies geared toward the more accomplished tyers, and also which also showcased their talent as advanced tyers. I showed the fella how to tie the prince along with a couple of tips to make the fly more durable, then gave him the flies I tied so he could use them as patterns. I then tied a Hare's Ear and a simple Sucker Spawn for him as well. A more thankful guy you couldn't find that day.

For me, I found my calling to fill that niche for new tyers who come to shows to learn basic patterns. I've done this at four shows since then, and each time the chairs in front of me are filled for most of the day. The advanced tyers are filling the niche for their flies, but there will always be a need to tie basic flies for the new tyer, and I get a good feeling helping them out and giving away the flies. Yes, every show costs me money, but I feel like it's making an investment in the future of our hobby, and I get to meet a lot of interesting and talented people.

Joe