+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Book suggestions

Default Book suggestions

I ran a search for books, but you get back far too many hits that don't lead to worthwhile information, so I apologize if I'm asking what may be a tedious question to some. Sorry!

Now.. what would be a couple of good books for a beginning fly fisherman? I fish mostly in central PA(and surroundings) and mostly for trout, so that's what I'm leaning towards. Any suggestions are appreciated!!! Thanks!!

Matt

Hazmat,
    I'm just getting started in flyfishing. I have two books, don't know how good they are compared to others but I bought:

"Fly Fishing for Beginners" by Chris Hansen. Is hardbound, nice book
    and
    "Fly Fishing Made Easy" (it's the 3rd edition) by Michael Rutter and Dave Card. Soft cover, black and white pictures. I think this one is the best of the two for information.

There are some good video also. I have one, can't remember the name and I loaned it out, but some times it is easier for me to understand when I can see it done.

hazmat:

I HIGHLY suggest you START with the books written by the great PA masters from your back yard:

This Wonderful World of Trout
    Rising Trout - both by Charles Fox

A Modern Dry Fly Code
    In the Ring of the Rise - both by Vincent Marinaro

Fly Rod Trouting - by Ed Schenk

Fishing the Midge - by Ed Koch

Some MAY be out of print but worth finding. I'm sure others will chime in with recommendations but there is something magic to me about these guys and their exploits in Cumberland County.

Try Yellow Breeches Outfitters in Boiling Springs They have a great selection of books. Also Stackpole Books who published many of the PA author's books is located in Mechanicsburg, PA.

Good reading!

I've read evcry beginner's book I could find. I think the LL Bean one is the best, followed by the Orvis one. It doesn't hurt to read both.

Thanks, folks. Much appreciated. I'll check out the titles.

Prospecting for Trout
    and
    Reading Trout Streams
    both by Tom Rosenbauer...

I seriously can't tell you how much these two helped me...

I'll second the "Orvis Fly Fishing Guide". It's a great book for a beginer.

If you're from central PA you've got some wonderful fishing around you too. I'm from South Western PA and my fishing partner and I make quite a few trips out your way to fish every year. There's Penn's Creek, Spring Creek, Spuce Creek (although most of Spruce is private water, there's the George Harvey section that's public) and our favorite the Little J.

If you're in the State College area, Fly Fisherman's Paradise is a great shop that would be worth your time to stop by. If you're in the Spruce Creek area there's Spruce Creek Outfitters, which is a great shop too and then there's one of my favorite fly shops, Spruce Creek Fly Company. Those guys always offer great advice.

-Darryl
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

Thanks for the local info, Daryll. I'm a transplant for NW PA to these parts and when I transplanted I didn't have a clue where to go around here. Over the years I've gotten back into it and have started exploring different areas. That info will help!!

I'll third the "Orvis Fly Fishing Guide". I still look at it over 10 years after I bought it (sometimes things get rusty ).

Hazmat -

When considering fly shops, don't forget Bob Clouser's shop in Middletown. I head a rumor that he was considering closing his shop. I don't know whether or not that is true.

I second the nod to Flyfishers Paradise and Spruce Creek Outfitters, but they are a hall from Harrisburg.

The books previously mentioned are great for learning the basisc of fly casting and fly fishing; not to mention the history of our sport.

When it comes time to finding places to ply your new found skills, you can't go wrong with picking up copies of:

Trout Streams and Hatches of Pennsylvania by Charles Meck; or
    Flyfisher's Guide to ennsylvania by Dave Wolf.

Both books provide good information about streams and hatches in the Commonwealth.

Tight lines.

+ Reply to Thread