+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Matte Finishes?

Default Matte Finishes?

Assuming that light reflections from a shiny rod surface or from the finish on the windings can spook fish, I conclude that matte finish is the best way to play it since fly fishing involves more close quarter fishing. You may never need it; but if you need it, you have it.

But not all blanks are matte finished. Is there a safe way to dull the finish on a shiny blank?

And, of course, what is a good product to use to put a matte finish on the rod windings?
    Bear742

I usually take some extra fine steel wool (0000 grit) to a new rod to take off the shine. I have definatly seen a rod flash spook fish.

If you want a less aggressive abrasive look at some of the auto body painting abrasive/pilishing compounds. They come in a series of grits and are used to remove swirls from painted surfaces. Depending on the grit size you can use them to polish to a brite fiish or matte finish.

kengore,

There are a lot of gawkers and not many talkers. You are the only one out of over 100 viewers that replied

Thanks for confirming my suspicion about the flash. Actually I was "fishing" for a better way to do this. On inexpensive graphite rods I have created a stealth finish. I worked my way up to something that worked by trying common abraisives.

These didn't work:

Soft Scrub
    Comet
    Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound
    Scothc Brite No Scratch Pad

Since it was a cheap rod, I also tried etching it with lacquer thinner and mineral spirits. Hats off to Rhino, that didn't work either.

This finally worked:

Scotch Brite Heavy Duty Pad

There's just enough grit to dull the finish without aggressive scoring. The pad provided a good way to apply pressure evenly. Wetting the pad controls the dust nicely.

Some day I will give steal wool a try.

PS I was glad to see that the Cortland Rod I just bought came with a matte finish blank though the wrappings are shiny epoxy. Oh, well.
    Bear742

Bear,
    You might want to try using some Lapping Compound on a cheap piece of graphite to see what happens. I used to use it to polish the inside of rifle barrels.
    God Bless,
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Hey Kengore,

The easiest way that I know of to make a glossy blank matte is to use a grey (very fine) 3M scotchbrite pad. If you carefully rub the blank with one of these pads, you can remove the gloss and not harm the actual graphite fibers. I have also used the finest steel wool that you can find (OOOO in my case) and that also worked very well.

All it takes is a bit of patience and some elbow grease and you can get a very nice looking matte blank.

HTH,

Lou

+ Reply to Thread